Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the thought on a spare tire, needed not needed? A good friend told me to just carry a tube, what? I have a 5# CO2 tank with lot's of pressure so I could get a tire back on the rim, unless I couldn't get the puncture to seal and hold pressure. I'm not a tire repair guru so don't know, if you could get to the inner tire, patch the hole, pull the valve stem and pull the tubes valve stem thru the wheel, and work the tire over the tube then put some air (CO2) to it. You would be in survival mode to get back to the trailer, but is that a viable option?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I ride with a old school tire repair kit. Have used it with a friend and I have a small portable compressor. Each of the normal group I ride with carries different equipment and tools that we can share, so far we have been able to help each other out of tough situations. An extra tire would be nice but it is quite large. In any case having spare equipment and tools is great, you just hope you have what you need for a specific problem. One of our folks takes spare tires and leaves them on the trailer, that way we of can retrieve them. I would not like to carry a tube -- kind of rough to change one. You might set your priorities for repairs in the field and figure out who carries what. Hope this helped a bit. Do have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I do have a tire repair kit and have never needed more than that in the past with my quads. I see a lot of people with UTV's have spares and wonder how many get used?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Excellent observation only so much room. No right or wrong answers a d it helps to ride with friends. Drive safe and have fun.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon R
46 Posts
We were on a ride approx 35 miles from our trailers and vehicles and another rider had a talon as I did. He experienced the moment when something gashed sidewall. I believe they put in no less than 18 plugs trying to get tire to hold. He would have been happy to pay anything for a spare at that moment. Neither of us had spares there was a few RZR's that had spares but that didn't help him. Needless to say come monday he purchased tire and wheel combo and a mount from Factory UTV. The mount they sell allows you to see behind with no problem. And yes I'm equipped with one now as well. Piece of mind...
IMG-2286.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon R
16 Posts
Yea I could see that being helpful. I keep my old stock tires and wheels in my trailer and where we ride, someone could run back and grab it for me if I needed it but I generally keep a large number of plugs with me and 2 20oz bottles of CO2 to keep me going. Later in the year my buddies and I are planning a few trips where we'll be traveling out of state to ride and by then I plan to have a full size spare/fuel cans mounted on the back. JEI offroad makes one that I'm particularly interested in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have Talon 1000R and had strange thing happen on a trip. Heard a loud bang and then a flat tire, turned out to be a rock got between the wheel and the trailing arm mount. The rock punctured a hole in the inside of the wheel. No spare! Luckily we were close enough to a road and had cell service. I had someone from camp buy JB weld and was able to seal the cracked rim from the outside and finished the ride. So JB Weld is another good thing to carry in your tool kit....

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Butch46 that is a super idea, I have some and it is boing into my repair bucket! Thanks that is an example of experience and ingenuity solving a problem in the middle of nowhere. Ride safe and do have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts