Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide between talon R or KRX both have likes and dislikes is the r ride close to the krx ? I like the locker better than talon 4x4 system but like the talons trans better than krx's cvt and clutch issues any help is appreciated

·
Registered
248 Posts
KRX is a lot heavier and rides MUCH better than the Talon R or X. BUT, you will need to replace the springs on the KRX, the suspension will settle 2-3" in the first couple thousand miles.

There are more considerations, these machines are quite different.
What type of riding will you be doing?
How tall are you?
How much machine noise will you tolerate?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not disagreeing about your preference for the KRX locker as I have not used one. But the Talons 4WD is impressive and has not made me want a locker or any other type of system. The Talon has pros and cons just like any other rig. To me the pros far outweigh the cons. I have come to think of my Talon more as a 4x4 truck rather than a SXS in regards to capability and durability. At 1000 miles the only damage has been to the flimsy lower radius arms that bent when I backed into a stump. I would say the most serious cons are cab heat with front and rear windows installed and the ride isn't as plush as I expected. I think it is a great all around rig. It crawls well, muds well, goes fast enough for me, and so far has been pretty tough, even in a roll over. It isn't an all out sport machine like some of the others seem to be. If you want to go wide open all the time and hit jumps there are better options out there like the CanAM Maverick. If you know anyone with a Talon and a KRX I'd recommend driving both on the types of trails you ride. If you ride slow to mid speed trails that are rocky, rooty, muddy, and rutted I think the Talon is your machine. And if these are your normal riding conditions you may wanna look at 32s, high clearance a arms and radius arms, skid plates, and rock sliders. I have a winch but haven't needed it except to pull a jeep out of the snow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KRX is a lot heavier and rides MUCH better than the Talon R or X. BUT, you will need to replace the springs on the KRX, the suspension will settle 2-3" in the first couple thousand miles.

There are more considerations, these machines are quite different.
What type of riding will you be doing?
How tall are you?
How much machine noise will you tolerate?
Short I'm 5'7 mostly ride Kentucky Tennessee west Virginia

·
Registered
248 Posts
This might be interesting if you haven't already seen it.
These rigs are well set up and have very good to excellent drivers.
This shows the real differences between the Talon and KRX.
I am just the messenger so don't blame me.
Let's examine that video a little closer. It was an inaccurate comparison. To be accurate, you need the same tires at the same pressure and the same driver (after some practice) in all 3 machines. The Talon and KRX are both very well suited for this type of trail, the YXZ not as much although in the right hands, you can get by as evidenced by that vid.
  • YXZ just isn't made for that type of trails. The clutch engagement was way too harsh and made for some uncontrollable starts. The driver was good and made it work for him. The only reason the XYZ made it was because of the driving. Most YXZ owners would not be able to do what he did but the driver made that YXZ look good.
  • Talon had the wrong tires with way too much air in them (he must have had 12-15 psi in those tires) and the driver was too timid. He let off the throttle way too early just as he started to crest the obstacle instead of following through and getting over them. He would back up to get some momentum but then just crept forward right up against the obstacle and try the same thing over and over. He was driving me nuts with the way he was driving!!! The driver made that Talon look bad, it is a much better machine than that.
  • KRX was set up the best out of the 3 for this type of trail and the driver was stellar. He knew exactly how much traction he had, when to crawl and when to spin and when to send it.
I have seen some KRX vids that make them look very average because of setup and driver and I have seen some Talons do stuff that had my jaw to the floor. I am pretty sure with the same driver, tires, pressures, etc. the KRX and Talon would do about the same.

Where the Talon kills the KRX is any type of sport riding. Met a stock KRX at the dunes and we both had paddles. The Talon is no speed demon but that KRX was just plain SLOW. The Talon is light and nimble and the KRX is heavy and clumsy.

So it depends on what you will be using it for. If you are going to crawl and climb, the KRX may be better suited. If you plan on any type of sport riding, you will be better off with the Talon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Short I'm 5'7 mostly ride Kentucky Tennessee west Virginia
At 5' 7", either machine will do for you. Over 6' is where the KRX has a better cockpit. Just be aware that the KRX is NOISY! The noise is one of the biggest comfort complaints of the KRX.

I am not familiar with the types of trails in those areas but if it is like the vid posted, either machine will be fine.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with i4WD for the average+ rider. I rock crawl a lot and have been on some of the toughest trails in Moab and Sand Hollow and it has never let me down. Even went up Moab Rim (people have died on that trail as recently as a few months ago) and although it scared the hell out of me, the Talon did it with ease. If you are extreme and find the i4WD not sufficient, you can always install the new "Torq-Locker" that is coming out in a few weeks and disable the i4WD if you want. Deep mud is said to be a little problematic (I don't know, I hate and avoid mud at all costs) but the Talon is not built for deep mud in my opinion (and neither really is the KRX). They will both do OK in some mud but If you are a deep mudder, neither machine will suite you and you should get something with more power.

Because of it's weight and gearing, the KRX is a little bit of a "one trick pony". Although the Talon does not excel in any one thing, it does everything very well and that is why I will most likely always own at least one. I love diverse terrains (except mud) so I need a machine that is good at everything and the Talon fits that bill.

·
Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
43 Posts
Another item mentioned is gear reduction on the KRX. He says he is using a 70/30 gear reduction and a weighted flywheel. Is that standard? I don't know the KRX at all but do know Jeeps. Gear reduction can make a heck of a difference. Also, all three are running different tires.

As mentioned above, this was not an apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The YXZ is the one with the gear reduction and weighted flywheel.
The KRX has stock gearing. It doesn't need a lower gear.

The Talon will not do well trying to pull 35's on those ledges, but there are no rules in the real world as to what tires or size you can use. The KRX has no problem with them.

The longer wheelbase on the KRX is also an advantage on those larger obstacles so it would be expected to do better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Talon does everything well. I ride everything except mud. It has power on demand and the engine braking is nothing short of amazing. Having had guys with a KRX ride with us, they are really slow. I'm not talking about drag racing but real world riding.

The Talon always needs some suspension adjustment at the very least. That said, at least you aren't forced into having to replace springs due to sag. Not to mention clutches/belts.

I have over 4700 hard, fun miles on my Talon 1000R. The only issue I have experienced (at 4661 miles) was a u-joint ejected a clip and let a cap work out.

#NoBrokenBelts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts