Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, I finally finished equipping my 2020 Talon R. I got lots of help from people in the Forum. Here is what I did:

-Flip up windshield
-3 pane rear view mirror
- lower door panel (not installed yet)

Rugged radio and intercom
Rigid Pro Spot off-road loghts
XTC Honda plug and play signal horn kit
Tusk Aramid Terrabite 30x10x15 tires
System 3 SB-3 wheels 15x7
Star Lightbar blue tooth controlled chase light GX-R 34 3/4
Seizmik pursuit side mirrors
Trail Armor A-arm and trailing link guards
Installed by Just Money Motorsports

KWT pre-filter
cactus racing fresh air pump.

So I use my old IPhone to send music to my intercom on Bluetooth, control how I want my chase lights to work and I use Onx hunt maps and Gaia for maps/gps

• Just put 100 miles on it. Taking it in for 1st service in the morning. Love how it drives and handles. The paddle shifting and anti lock braking my favorite features
    on .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys, I finally finished equipping my 2020 Talon R. I got lots of help from people in the Forum. Here is what I did:

-Flip up windshield
-3 pane rear view mirror
- lower door panel (not installed yet)

Rugged radio and intercom
Rigid Pro Spot off-road loghts
XTC Honda plug and play signal horn kit
Tusk Aramid Terrabite 30x10x15 tires
System 3 SB-3 wheels 15x7
Star Lightbar blue tooth controlled chase light GX-R 34 3/4
Seizmik pursuit side mirrors
Trail Armor A-arm and trailing link guards
Installed by Just Money Motorsports

KWT pre-filter
cactus racing fresh air pump.

So I use my old IPhone to send music to my intercom on Bluetooth, control how I want my chase lights to work and I use Onx hunt maps and Gaia for maps/gps

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Dave, did the terabyte tires change your overall width much and if so how much?
My trailer barely fits my Talon R right now with stock tires and wheels and I am pretty sure that changing the rims and tires will make it not fit on my trailer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was exactly my problem. Yes it made the front 72 1/2" the rear was 69". I had to buy a new trailer 6.5 x 12' ? Additionally, I am having real problems with my Terabyte tires on my bead locks. In fact, just dropped it off to put the terabytes on my stock rims. They leak constantly. I tried Yamalube, grease even gobs of Xtra seal bead seal. Nothing stopped the leaking. Rocky Mountain warrantied my worst one, lost 9 pounds over night. They blew me off on the others.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yea, I’m getting leery of going with bead locks, I just don’t think I need that problem?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What size tires are those and do they fit on the stock rims. Thanks
They are 30x10x15 and yes they fit on the stock rims. Just moved them to my stock rims from the bead locks. You could go 32x10x15 if you have an R model and I probably will do that size next time

·
Registered
23 Posts
Take this for what its worth, but I have had good luck with beadlocks. Have a ritual that I use to mount. May just be dumb luck, but has worked for me and my freinds.

Go to dollar store and buy a big jug of off bread dish soap

Use soft rag and over soap both beads on tires with pure soap (do not dilute, easy wash off when all done)

Mount bead lock ring and do the criss cross torquing thing to 8 to 10 lb

Relube the back side bead with the soap

go ahead and blow up tire to 10LB (no more and bead should be slick enough to pop out.

Do this to all 4 wheels

Now torque each wheel to 15lb, then to final torque called out by manufacture (again the criss cross method)

Blow tires up to 25LB (yes 25 lb)

Let set for 24 PLUS hours (do not skip this step)

Check air and typically will be at 23LB give or take.

Assuming in that range, Let air down to 12-15 lb (where you normally run)

now go ahead and put them on the car and use. (may want to wash off extra soap so does not draw dirt)

I have had car set 3 months and not go down much at all. Again maybe just dumb luck but works for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
interested in hearing more about your wheel / tire combo
30x10x15 terra tires
what wheels, offsets chassis tire/tire width compared to stock
handling differences

thank you

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What! Wait! The Talon has anti-lock brakes?
Technically they are Electronically balanced braking. I think better than ABS. Slam of the brakes, see if the rear tire lock up. Want to see how effective it is, race into a turn, slam on the brakes. It will stop straight ahead, no rear end swinging around. One of the reasons I was sold on it on a test drive. Drive it down a steep hill with loose rock/dirt...amazing!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
interested in hearing more about your wheel / tire combo
30x10x15 terra tires
what wheels, offsets chassis tire/tire width compared to stock
handling differences

thank you
The new wheels were 5/2 offset, so unlike stock, the fronts were wider (72" vs stock 68"). As far as handling, it was excellent. My only complaint was the tires leaked on the bead locks. Just took an 80 mile ride on the terrabites on the stock wheels, ride was still good, but the rear end felt like it yawed a little more in corners, not much, but handling and ride still excellent. Running them at 8-9 pounds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The new wheels were 5/2 offset, so unlike stock, the fronts were wider (72" vs stock 68"). As far as handling, it was excellent. My only complaint was the tires leaked on the bead locks. Just took an 80 mile ride on the terrabites on the stock wheels, ride was still good, but the rear end felt like it yawed a little more in corners, not much, but handling and ride still excellent. Running them at 8-9 pounds.
HavasuDave, I'm looking to change out my stock tires before our May Moab trip. I put the Terrabites on my little RZR 900 Trail just before I sold it, but only had them on for one easy trail ride so I really didn't have the chance to give them an honest test. I loved them on everything hard packed including asphalt, but I did notice they threw rocks like crazy on the gravel roads. What is your opinion of them now that you've put a lot of miles on them? How do they do in Moab and climbing in loose rocks etc?

·
Registered
88 Posts
HavasuDave, I'm looking to change out my stock tires before our May Moab trip. I put the Terrabites on my little RZR 900 Trail just before I sold it, but only had them on for one easy trail ride so I really didn't have the chance to give them an honest test. I loved them on everything hard packed including asphalt, but I did notice they threw rocks like crazy on the gravel roads. What is your opinion of them now that you've put a lot of miles on them? How do they do in Moab and climbing in loose rocks etc?

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts