Honda Talon Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quick question. I’m going to be in the market for a sxs in the next few months. I’ve been debating on the talon or the maverick x3. Obviously talon has its advantages compared to the belt drive on the x3. I have a 2019 rancher and a 2019 crf450rx so I’m obviously a fan of Honda and I know how much hell you can give them. It’s the one brand that’s been proven over and over. Can am has made some improvements and they are putting out serious power. The aftermarket for the machines is crazy in the performance upgrade section. I know I’ve seen Jackson racing said they plan on coming out with an upgrade for their turbo kit in the future. Is this something you juts would consider also? I’m thinking of waiting to see if Honda releases a R-4 model for 2022. If not I may just go with the X-4 live valve or just the R-2 LV. Curious because I’m thinking I’d like higher HP options with the four seater options. I know it may be too early to tell from you guys but just curious.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep I would second that, if you ride in the dunes get a Can-Am but what ever you do if you get the Can-Am be sure to spend the money on frame stiffening, shock and frame bracing and one of those quick release belt changers. If not Honda’s got plenty of power for 99% of the people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Typically in the past, Honda is built heavy duty and always starts and runs. With all of the new electronics and computers, they sometimes have problems. I think that’s true with all brands. In my opinion, the Jackson turbo kit is way over priced for how much boost you get. It seems to be a quality kit, except for having to splice 2 of your stock vent hoses. For $6k they couldn’t supply a hose? Really? The Can Am is fast, and has better suspension than the Honda, as long as your smart enough to set it up for your particular riding style. Can Am’s shock mounts are weak and need aftermarket strengthening parts, as do many other areas that are highly stressed. Just look at what aftermarket parts are available. Can Am has beefed up their belts, but when you put 200 Hp thru a belt, if your not careful, you will need to keep spare belts in stock and know how to change them on the trail. If you ride the dunes more often, Get the Can Am and all of the upgraded , stronger parts. If you ride in the mountains, get the Honda X. It is a little narrower and turns better than the R. Honda will prolly offer a turbo in the future, but I don’t think they want to be the leader. They were the leader in the old 3 wheeler days, but paid the price in court from dumb fucks that didn’t know how to ride and sued them. This is why they have been holding back, at least in my opinion.
Yeah for me it’s hard to pick anything over Honda. My very first dirtbike was a Honda also. I live in Alabama and our trails around here can accommodate the 72” rzr models so I don’t think I’d have too much of a problem with the R’s turning radius. I’ve seen a few talons out in the trails and everybody seems to love them. I work with a guy that bought a base x3 and got the 172 kit and he seems to love it as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Quick question. I’m going to be in the market for a sxs in the next few months. I’ve been debating on the talon or the maverick x3. Obviously talon has its advantages compared to the belt drive on the x3. I have a 2019 rancher and a 2019 crf450rx so I’m obviously a fan of Honda and I know how much hell you can give them. It’s the one brand that’s been proven over and over. Can am has made some improvements and they are putting out serious power. The aftermarket for the machines is crazy in the performance upgrade section. I know I’ve seen Jackson racing said they plan on coming out with an upgrade for their turbo kit in the future. Is this something you juts would consider also? I’m thinking of waiting to see if Honda releases a R-4 model for 2022. If not I may just go with the X-4 live valve or just the R-2 LV. Curious because I’m thinking I’d like higher HP options with the four seater options. I know it may be too early to tell from you guys but just curious.
If you're a Honda guy the Talon is hard to beat. The reliability and quality is there over the CanAm. With a Turbo you will have no issues keeping up with them dunning. Drag racing is another story. It is hard to beat CVT in a drag race since they don't have any down time shifting. So in the end it is all up to driver preference and style.

As far as our kit goes first thing to come out will be just our base kit. We are already testing higher boost options to see what is needed, but that will come at a later date. I don't think you will be disappointed in our base kit regardless for your average driver. It is night and day difference!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're a Honda guy the Talon is hard to beat. The reliability and quality is there over the CanAm. With a Turbo you will have no issues keeping up with them dunning. Drag racing is another story. It is hard to beat CVT in a drag race since they don't have any down time shifting. So in the end it is all up to driver preference and style.

As far as our kit goes first thing to come out will be just our base kit. We are already testing higher boost options to see what is needed, but that will come at a later date. I don't think you will be disappointed in our base kit regardless for your average driver. It is night and day difference!
View attachment 1890
Thanks Jason that’s all I needed to hear 👍🏼

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
When is the base kit going to be available? How much are they? What do they include? Can the base kit be used with the higher boost version, or will it be a totally different system? Will either of the kits require any additional engine mods, like pistons?
Base kit is a couple more months out as we are finishing some final testing on turbos, manifolds and tuning to determine the final design. Kit should land around $4,200 full retail. Kit will includes everything you need besides tuning. We sell tuning separately from all our kits since a lot of customers already have Dynojet tuners. This kit will definitely be able to be turned up. we haven't gotten into how much we can push through the motor yet on stock internals so I do not have answers on that, but the turbo will support more power.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Base kit is a couple more months out as we are finishing some final testing on turbos, manifolds and tuning to determine the final design. Kit should land around $4,200 full retail. Kit will includes everything you need besides tuning. We sell tuning separately from all our kits since a lot of customers already have Dynojet tuners. This kit will definitely be able to be turned up. we haven't gotten into how much we can push through the motor yet on stock internals so I do not have answers on that, but the turbo will support more power.
Please sent pictures of intake and will HMF exhaust work with your kit? I use Dynojet tuner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'll see what pictures I can get. As for the exhaust as long is it mounts and meets to the factory location anything can be used. We are using the Dynojet PV3 to tune so adjustments are quick and easy if need be. As with anything boosted I do recommend running a wideband sensor to keep an eye on your AFRs and it helps if you would like us fine tune your Talon for you location.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I'll see what pictures I can get. As for the exhaust as long is it mounts and meets to the factory location anything can be used. We are using the Dynojet PV3 to tune so adjustments are quick and easy if need be. As with anything boosted I do recommend running a wideband sensor to keep an eye on your AFRs and it helps if you would like us fine tune your Talon for you location.
Thanks and I have the wide band sensor with the Dynojet PV3. No boost now but any time I go with custom tunes I do like a wideband to make sure AFRs are on track with the original tune results.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks and I have the wide band sensor with the Dynojet PV3. No boost now but any time I go with custom tunes I do like a wideband to make sure AFRs are on track with the original tune results.
Correct. And if it is the Dynojet wideband that connects to the PV3 you can make a log driving around and send it back to us so we can see what is going on and fix it up for you.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts