Honda Talon Forum banner

Talon first issue

37K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Udaman 
#1 ·
Had my first issue with the talon yesterday. It's got 85 miles, and 6 hours on it. My dad came over yesterday, and was going to drive it. I told him he had to wear the seat belt to go over 15 mph. He said he wasn't going that fast, so he idled it around my place for a while. Then he finally put his seat belt on and took it down the road about a 1/4 mile at probably close to 60 mph. Then i get a phone call with him saying it died out. So i get there and it will start up and idle for a few secounds then just die without any check engine light coming on. He did say he thought the clutch temp light was coming on. But seemed to be working normal by the time I got there, and it would still die after idling a few seconds. The motor coolant temperature was normal. So we towed it back to the house and checked levels. Oil was good, coolant a litte below minimum, but ok. Then i cranked it up and reved it to like 3500 rpm for a while and then it idled, so i drove it and it didn't have the issue anymore. The manual doesn't say anything about the clutch temp shutting the motor down. It actually says to let it idle to allow the clutches to be cooled down. I dont know, not too worried about it, seems like more of an electronic connection issue. Ill check the grounds on it today. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
So what was the final outcome? I took my brand new Honda Talon out yesterday for it's first ride. About 15 miles out, the same thing happened that happened to you. I had to be towed in and now it is sitting at the dealer. Am I happy? Hell no.
When I dropped it at the dealer, a tech came and hooked it up to the computer in several different places. He said that it was throwing a 15-15 code. What's that I say. His reply; "unkown fault". 20 miles on the thing...

#4 ·
A buddy of mine stopped by a dealer in Colorado, they sell all brands of SXS so weren't biased one way of the other. He knew I'm going to get a Talon R and asked about service issues. He took him to service there were 3 talons in for transmission problems, all electronic. Anyone else hearing this?

#5 ·
From what I was told by my dealership hundreds of talons were purchased without trans fluid in it. Someone at the factory marked the dip stick as checked so the guys at the dealers didn’t bother checking them to make sure. As far as trans problems I haven’t had any, other then both of my wheel bearings going at the same time lol that was a first for the talon Honda told me.

#15 ·
Reading these posts compelled me me to check all ground and power connections. Popped the battery cover off, had a 10mm socket in my hand so put it on the pos cable bolt and it turned freely. Pulled the socket away and the bolt had dissappeared. Looked in the socket and there it was. I hadn't had any issues so far. And to think I was mudding last weekend. I mean mud over the top of the tires muddin! Glad it didn't fall out on me then!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.