Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've seen on the Honda SXS forum a lot of guys are adding a second battery and isolater. If your going to run additional items like a radio or extra lights it's probably not a bad idea to keep the wear off the rectifier. But that is the only reason I could see for adding a extra battery.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just received my own genuine Honda service manual which says the stator puts out 15.5 amps at 5000 rpm. Still not sure how much accessory draw would be allowed w/o draining the battery.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ticster, have you come up with anything for the dust problem? I am thinking about how to collect high pressure air at the top of the window and venting it to the back of the roof toward the cargo area. Or, maybe adding bigger scoops to the roof vents to force more air into the rear to fill the low pressure area behind the car. Perhaps even side wind deflectors on the roll cage to redirect air to the cargo area.
Seen your deflectors. Looks like they would work w/ a full windshield, I’m finally getting time to work on the blower idea. Got a 320 com 10” swirl cage fan today. It fits under the hood, but no room for a filter on the intake of it. Plus it draws 11 amps. Should receive 2 4” bilge blowers tomorrow that blow 270 cfm each and only use 2.5 amps each. Hopefully I can stuff them in and have room for a couple of filters. I plan on reducing them down to 3” and drill in some vents on each side of the tunnel. Hopefully they will eliminate the negative pressure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To get rid of the dust in most sxs's you just put in a rear dust blocker window and take out the windshield.
With the Talon you will probably need to block all the holes in the firewall too.
Good luck with that part.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've seen on the Honda SXS forum a lot of guys are adding a second battery and isolater. If your going to run additional items like a radio or extra lights it's probably not a bad idea to keep the wear off the rectifier. But that is the only reason I could see for adding a extra battery.
A 2nd battery doesn't really help with constant draw items like a light or radio.

I did mine for winching mostly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just received my own genuine Honda service manual which says the stator puts out 15.5 amps at 5000 rpm. Still not sure how much accessory draw would be allowed w/o draining the battery.
Calculations show it can handle 50 amps alone. The Talon has a . 7 kW charge rating. Calculations show it canhandle 58 amps alone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Seen your deflectors. Looks like they would work w/ a full windshield, I’m finally getting time to work on the blower idea. Got a 320 com 10” swirl cage fan today. It fits under the hood, but no room for a filter on the intake of it. Plus it draws 11 amps. Should receive 2 4” bilge blowers tomorrow that blow 270 cfm each and only use 2.5 amps each. Hopefully I can stuff them in and have room for a couple of filters. I plan on reducing them down to 3” and drill in some vents on each side of the tunnel. Hopefully they will eliminate the negative pressure.
Got the 2 4” blowers today. I think they will work! They blow 270 cfm each.their ad was wrong about the amps they draw. They draw 6 amps each, so I’m adding a second battery. It’s a Full Throttle AGM with 410 CCA. I’ve seen mounts online that sit right behind the radiator. Since I want to put filters on the blowers, I made a battery tray further back under the hood. Didn’t get the Hose today, so I will continue when I get the hose. Here’s a couple of pics.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Blower update! Got them mounted so they are just above the radiator hose. Got a couple of uni filters, but had to take the inner cage out of them so they would compress. They are so close to the steeing shaft, I had to make a guard so the filter doesnt get a hole worn in it. Hopefully I won’t have too much of a heat issue with the air coming thru the radiator. In the winter, the heat would be nice, but summer time it may be an issue. May have to fab a shield so the radiator air doesn’t blow on the filters. Still waiting for the 3” vent grills to show up to finish the ducting.

Here’s a couple of pictures from underneath.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I know how they work. And figured out the Talon has a 3 phase stator. The stator puts out 16 volts, then it’s dropped to 14 volts at the regulator. I wonder what would happen if I split the 3 stator output wires and hook them to 2 regulator inputs, and run the outputs from each regulator to each battery seperately. At this point I haven’t found any body like Ricky Stator that offers anything.

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
35 Posts
That is an interesting idea. I don't know if it would work. I know with motorcycles guys just fit a larger stator. I am just guessing here, but remember the Talon has EFI, so there is a low voltage side, and a high voltage side to all of this also. I am sure this is split at the ECM, I know the ECM supplies high voltage for the ignition so I would assume it also supplies low voltage for the both itself and the EFI. Since this is basically an African Twin motor, I would think that there might be a higher output stator available that might fit. I am sure all the Honda's running the Dakar have a bigger stator.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Good info! I have been looking for an Africa twin stator like you said, but haven't had any luck. None of the stator manufactures have done anything yet. I’m not sure why, cuz everyone wants a lot of accessories. Somehow they need to be pushed into building them. At this point, I have to choose which lights I use, and keep an eye on my voltage meters. I hate having to choose! I use To run a “Ricky Stator” on my old 250R 3 wheeler back in the day. They use to be the innovator for this stuff. I think I will call them and flat out ask them what it will cost me to have them build a custom high output stator for me. With all of the shut downs and people not buying anything, you would think would jump on it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts