Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the side of my talon apart to get ready for the new snorkel I ordered. The old tube off of the air box looks like something from outer space! Why does it have the extra side pods on it? Any clues?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those "pods" are there to reduce intake noise and trust me, they work. I straight piped mine and put a pre-filter on and took it off after 1 outing. It was so load and annoying I could not stand it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder how it will work with a snorkel? The dust sucked from the right rear tire is too much for the air filter, so a lot of people are installing a snorkel to suck clean air from up high.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you have a solid rear window, you don't hear the noise (at least on mine). I bought the Warrior setup and it helped a lot, but filter still got dirty ( it did look better at 500 miles than original setup at 100). I just changed out the top snorkel part to a large air filter with outerwear. I have not road enough to say that will cure all the dirt (but hope it will) but again with solid rear window, mine is not annoying. Might be different if have open shot to riders.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wonder how it will work with a snorkel? The dust sucked from the right rear tire is too much for the air filter, so a lot of people are installing a snorkel to suck clean air from up high.
All those pods are just supports for the pipe. You will be happy you did the snorkel. Just put a filter on the top like Idiot did. Or get a pre filter I run a KWT. I tossed that thing in the trash

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone tried using a (pre) filter similar to the attached picture?
not sure if it would impede the air flow too much, but it would be easily cleanable.
I was looking into just making a snorkel/ pre-filter and it looks like most of the parts you can find right on Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you that’s exactly what I was thinking of doing. I just wonder what parts are under the body that are unseen and if they could be just home made?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tried it for 2 trips. Worked very well to keep the filter clean but it was noisy as hell! I couldn't stand the noise so I switched to the S&B Particle Seperator mounted on the roof.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you that’s exactly what I was thinking of doing. I just wonder what parts are under the body that are unseen and if they could be just home made?
Yes, in fact once you remove the Honda intake, just attach this flexible 3" and drill a hole through the black plastic and make a mount.

Click here:

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you decide to try a pre-filter, you have S&B which requires electricity or the KTW which has no moving parts. The snorkel tube with filter is the cheapest option and I know a few guys running RZRs that have good results with them.

I run the KWT here is some info:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Louder than the S&B?
WAY louder, compared to the way I installed my S&B. The filter was just behind my right ear and the noise was annoying, borderline deafening (probably close to 100 db). Had a friend ride with me and on the second round out, he showed up with a pair of industrial ear protection and said he couldn't stand the noise.

The Honda S&B is also very noisy. Not just the fan, that is drowned out once you start the engine and begin to move. The intake noise is almost as bad as the filter. I experienced one in a 4 seater (I was driving) and right away figured out if I installed the S&B (or any pre-filter) it would be above the roof for noise reasons.

I bought the CanAm Turbo version ($50 cheaper) because I didn't need the Honda mountings or other stuff that came at a high price. If you use the Honda version, you need the switch kit and another harness for an additional couple hundred dollars (or more). I made my own relay/wiring, solid pipes with silicone couplers and exhausted out the fender for just over $500 (About $150-200 less than the Honda unit plus all the required extra parts).

I mounted the S&B on the roof and wired it so it doesn't come on until the engine is started. I can barely hear it at idle and not at all once moving. Next trip out, the filter was off, the S&B was mounted and my buddy threw the ear protection back in his truck. He was amazed how quiet it was.

600+ miles with the S&B and the filter is still like brand new (bright green and not a speck of dust on the filter or inside the housing or rubber inlet tube). Original filter lasted about 200 miles but I expect filters will now last 5000 miles. Even if I get 2500 miles per filter, it will pay for itself after the first filter change. The S&B works as claimed, no doubt about it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts