Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a good solution to having to clean the stock air filter after every ride. It works extremely well, super easy to install, clean, and easy to service.
To start with, I purchased a SuperAtv depth finder snorkel kit. (I used a promo code, and Father's Day discount to give total of 25% off). I installed just per instructions, except turn the intake towards the center of the vehicle. And did not install that SuperAtv intake screen This installation took me about 1:15, only because I had to remove the mudbusters to get to the factory air intake. Next I installed the Spectre SPE 8161 Black, low profile universal air filter. Then a generic water dust screen to go over the top (I think this is important as well). The first trip we went to royal blue June 23 -26 and it was a dust bowl. I removed rinsed and washed that generic screen everyday. Then wash, and treated the Spectre filter when I returned. I just installed a brand new Honda air filter prior to this 350 mile ride, and it still looks brand new.
One last note I did not install the snorkel, for the deep water function, I did not install any of the check valves that were included, I only purchased for the air intake relocation Factor !
I hope you find this helpful, this was an easy project, with a quick payback, in both parts and labor!
Itemized cost delivered ( SuperATV.Com & Amazon) $216 snorkel, $20 Spectre air filter, $9 dust screen shown, $19 dust screen preferred. $19 K&N Air Filter recharge kit (estimated 3 to 4 uses)
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork

Wood Artifact Metal Musical instrument History

Automotive tire Dishware Rim Circle Wood

Wood Automotive tire Vehicle Musical instrument Gas

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle accessory Wheel Bicycle fork

Attachments

Reactions: Maksim from Russia

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does having multiple filters cause a noticeable power loss?
There will definitely be some power loss. It might not be noticeable right away. One probably wouldn't notice if the prefilter loaded up slowly. The dusty environment I ride in would require me cleaning a tiny filter at least twice per ride. I don't see why anyone would want to choke their engine in least. Do it right and put on a particle separator. You will be glad you did as you won't ever restrict the air flow nor will you be a slave to a tiny filter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the KWT and it is great. But if I had it to do over again, would use a pre filter instead. Simpler and cheaper for similar results. Keep a spare if in dusty conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts