Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any luck heating the talon x-4 in the winter months? If so what did you use and how did you seal up all the air leaks? Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Back in the days when we snowmobiled a lot we had heated suits and gloves that we could plug in to the machines electrical system, somewhat like motorcycle riders wear in cold weather. I have wondered if that would be a solution for some folks- a snowmobile style suit and gloves that can be plugged in for heat. That would eliminate the hassle of full doors, and enclosures that would be in the way during warmer weather riding. I am just throwing this out there for anyone's thoughts . . . . .

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed the inferno heater. It was not too bad to install and man does it heat! I have a honda front and rear windshield and honda uppers and lower doors. I use automotive weatherstripping around the doors to seal it up. The front and rear windscreens were both pretty well sealed from Honda. It's not air-tight by any means, but it is definitely warm. I live in Idaho, it gets cold here. Good luck. Just want to say the Honda uppers are spendy, but they really are the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed the inferno heater. It was not too bad to install and man does it heat! I have a honda front and rear windshield and honda uppers and lower doors. I use automotive weatherstripping around the doors to seal it up. The front and rear windscreens were both pretty well sealed from Honda. It's not air-tight by any means, but it is definitely warm. I live in Idaho, it gets cold here. Good luck. Just want to say the Honda uppers are spendy, but they really are the best.
I ended up buying aftermarket soft uppers and was just wondering if the inferno heater would keep up with all the gaps. Can you post pictures of how you sealed up between the doors? I live in Iowa and our winters get cold also and want to do some riding since most of our rural roads are open to SXS's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ended up buying aftermarket soft uppers and was just wondering if the inferno heater would keep up with all the gaps. Can you post pictures of how you sealed up between the doors? I live in Iowa and our winters get cold also and want to do some riding since most of our rural roads are open to SXS's.
I used some automotive seals I got from amazon. Just the doors are sealed up. There are some minor gaps in the uppers but the inferno puts out so much air I thought it might be good to have some outlet as the inferno draws air through it's radiator and into the cab. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089QBSJ72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used some automotive seals I got from amazon. Just the doors are sealed up. There are some minor gaps in the uppers but the inferno puts out so much air I thought it might be good to have some outlet as the inferno draws air through it's radiator and into the cab. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089QBSJ72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 1750 View attachment 1751

·
Registered
47 Posts
I actually have a 4 seater and was wondering how the heater keeps up with the 1000x-4.
While I cannot directly answer your question, I can tell you that the inferno heater is has the highest BTU rating of any other unit on the market (from my research) and is the most like a factory unit that you can get. Also, the kit for the 2 seater and the 4 seater are the same one. It's not going to have any vents to the back seats, but you could certainly direct the defrost vents to move warm air to the back.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
167 Posts
Back in the days when we snowmobiled a lot we had heated suits and gloves that we could plug in to the machines electrical system, somewhat like motorcycle riders wear in cold weather. I have wondered if that would be a solution for some folks- a snowmobile style suit and gloves that can be plugged in for heat. That would eliminate the hassle of full doors, and enclosures that would be in the way during warmer weather riding. I am just throwing this out there for anyone's thoughts . . . . .
This is what I use and it works exceptionally well (Gerbing).

·
Registered
246 Posts
I installed a couple of the summit racing heaters in 4 seat rzr’s for my buddies that have the soft cab enclosures - so they were fairly well sealed but not 100%. For $180 for all the parts, these worked very well - sweatshirts were all that were needed and heater would be kept on low most of the time in the dead of PA winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts