Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not interested in shipping these, I can meet in the greater Phoenix area.

$1600

Full set of stock Talon 1000R (non live valve) shocks with Shock Therapy's dual rate spring kit and their RIS (ride improvement system) re-valving. These shocks are set up for faster trail riding and for a machine that had anywhere from 150-300lbs of accessories.

Bolt on to quickly upgrade your stock suspension or if your riding consists of multiple terrains (dunes/trails/crawling) you can have another set of shocks set up differently between your preferences.

The shocks have around 3k miles on them and perform great. They've got typical scratches and wear on the crossover rings/shock body but everything is functional. One thing to note is one of the locating tabs for the rock guard broke off so it will move when adjusting the spring preload. See pics for details.

img_20210619_234444029-xl-jpg.jpg

Crossover ring/shock body wear on the worst of the 2 rear shocks. The other rear isn't so bad and it hasn't happened to the front shocks.

img_20211221_175335771-x3-jpg.jpg

The good clocking/locating tab for reference, keeps the rock shield in position when adjusting spring preload.

img_20211221_175516972-x3-jpg.jpg

The broken tab as compared to above. It doesn't affect the performance of the shock, you just have to manually position the shield after spring adjustments.

img_20211221_175403837-x3-jpg.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the length and spring rates of each spring?
Sorry, I don't have much specific spring info other than "00361 springs" from a note I wrote down when I first got my Talon. When I bought my Talon the shocks were already upgraded by Shock Therapy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found another note with spring part #'s...
Front tender spring 05236
Front main spring 002341
Rear tender spring 052301
Rear main spring 00361

·
Registered
295 Posts
I found another note with spring part #'s...
Front tender spring 05236
Front main spring 002341
Rear tender spring 052301
Rear main spring 00361
ST uses the same springs on every Talon R, regardless of all the questions they ask. Every set I have ever seen use these exact same springs.
They are as follows...

Front tender spring 05236 6" long 225 lbs.
Front main spring 002341 14" long 200 lbs.
Rear tender spring 002301 10" long 200 lbs.
Rear main spring 003361 16" long 275 lbs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ST uses the same springs on every Talon R, regardless of all the questions they ask. Every set I have ever seen use these exact same springs.
They are as follows...

Thanks for those #'s Paul, when I wrote them down they were partially faded and I wasn't completely sure they were accurate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why do they ask all the questions then? Don't they market their springs as being specifically matched to your SXS, including weight of occupant(s), add-ons and cargo, and your individual riding style and preferences?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Why do they ask all the questions then? Don't they market their springs as being specifically matched to your SXS, including weight of occupant(s), add-ons and cargo, and your individual riding style and preferences?
Sales BS. That company is first and foremost and sales oriented establishment. They "wow" you with all kinds of BS. Then they put out videos on how much a piece of shit the Talon suspension is and it cannot be fixed due to geometry (all pretty much true) but then turn around and make outlandish claims on their website that they can fix it.

For these reasons, I refuse to buy from them, even if they sell something I know is good and I can use. I just go elsewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They are as follows...

Did you measure similar ST springs to derive those spring rates and lengths?
Or did ST provide that information?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did you measure similar ST springs to derive those spring rates and lengths?
Or did ST provide that information?
Not similar, they are exactly the same. I have a set that I bought and subsequently took off. I scaled them myself (ST won't tell you anything of value). They sell the same springs to everyone as far as I can tell. I have looked at a dozen machines and they are all the same, even if you pay for the revalve.

I put my springs (they have 1000 miles on them) up for sale and someone was interested. They asked my weight and driving style and said they wanted a way different setup so they gave ST their info and ST sent them a set of springs IDENTICAL to what I would have sold him (for half the cost no less).

To this day, I have yet to see any springs from ST other than the ones listed above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How would you compare the ride quality of your new Fox IBP set up to the Shock Therapy set up?
The ride quality is much improved, I have way more adjustment range (dual speed compression in addition to full rebound) with the IBP shocks. Also, the IBP rears are 3.0's vs the stock 2.5's so it not an apples to apples comparison. The downside is the significant cost, the IBP's are $5k.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts