Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
47 year old in AZ, new to the off road game. Been test riding units and trying to find a good all around machine for desert trail riding (no dunes) for my 6'4" frame, 36" inseam. Down to 3 options but appreciate any input as I struggle to pull the plug and make a wise decision:

YXZ SS (base model) $19K OTD. Proven machine. I've heard other tall riders say this has the most room. I fit ok. Tight getting in and out. Seats are very reclined which felt awkward at first, but I suppose with a helmet I won't be looking at the sky. Seems to be the most raw and possibly most fun. Surprised the shifting was loud and clunky (even when the dealer drove it).

Honda Talon X- $19,800 OTD. Fit pretty good, seats are super comfy. More upright so I guess knees are more bent. Nice fit and finish, convenience of auto or paddle shifters. Some complaints about the tire/wheel package and running thru air filters. What else do riders not like about the Talon?

Kawasaki Teryx KRX- pricing TBD. 2 minute test ride today. Hearing lots of good reviews, but 1st year machine. Definitely the most leg room, at least for the right leg. Easiest to get in and out, by far. Heavy duty suspension and tire package, and it's the heaviest, biggest (and slowest) machine, but I don't mind that part. 70 mph max speed is fine with me. Seats, fit and finish not as nice as Honda. But I seem to look more proportionate in the cabin. First dealer priced was not competitive, $22K OTD. Will be calling other dealers on Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Welcome, and do have fun riding. Send pictures of your ride and location, please. I bet Arizona is a fun place to ride. Again welcome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome - Since in AZ, what type of riding are you planning on doing? The X is more for tight trails than the R. The R won't be any different inside room so does not help on room issue. With your height, I am suprised you are comfortable in the Talon as I am 5'11 & I could use more leg room. When I had YXZ, I shimmed seats to be less reclined. I have only set in KRX, but it appears to have a bunch of room and seat probably could even be moved back furture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought the Talon on Friday, I absolutely love it. The KRX is really nice with the little bit of extra room compared. I'm 6'7" with a 36 inch inseam. If you are really liking the KRX Kawasaki I believe Kawasaki is offering 2k off on it until the 30th. May have to go to a different dealer to get it. Kawasaki - Save Big Now
This is the dealer I went through to buy my Talon, that link shows the promotion for the 2k off. I was super impressed when I test drove the Talon, I really the the transmission with the option of using manual. (w/ paddle shifters).

·
Registered
12 Posts
47 year old in AZ, new to the off road game. Been test riding units and trying to find a good all around machine for desert trail riding (no dunes) for my 6'4" frame, 36" inseam. Down to 3 options but appreciate any input as I struggle to pull the plug and make a wise decision:

YXZ SS (base model) $19K OTD. Proven machine. I've heard other tall riders say this has the most room. I fit ok. Tight getting in and out. Seats are very reclined which felt awkward at first, but I suppose with a helmet I won't be looking at the sky. Seems to be the most raw and possibly most fun. Surprised the shifting was loud and clunky (even when the dealer drove it).

Honda Talon X- $19,800 OTD. Fit pretty good, seats are super comfy. More upright so I guess knees are more bent. Nice fit and finish, convenience of auto or paddle shifters. Some complaints about the tire/wheel package and running thru air filters. What else do riders not like about the Talon?

Kawasaki Teryx KRX- pricing TBD. 2 minute test ride today. Hearing lots of good reviews, but 1st year machine. Definitely the most leg room, at least for the right leg. Easiest to get in and out, by far. Heavy duty suspension and tire package, and it's the heaviest, biggest (and slowest) machine, but I don't mind that part. 70 mph max speed is fine with me. Seats, fit and finish not as nice as Honda. But I seem to look more proportionate in the cabin. First dealer priced was not competitive, $22K OTD. Will be calling other dealers on Tuesday.
Get the KRX 100%, I own a Talon. KRX has more leg room, built better, superior suspension geometry and just more beefy. I may be jadded since my differential failed in the first 100 miles and my talon has been in the shop more then on the trails. The DCT is also a love hate relationship for me. I'd rather replace a belt in the middle of nowhere and be able to get home then be stranded with a broken transmission.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Get the KRX 100%, I own a Talon. KRX has more leg room, built better, superior suspension geometry and just more beefy. I may be jadded since my differential failed in the first 100 miles and my talon has been in the shop more then on the trails. The DCT is also a love hate relationship for me. I'd rather replace a belt in the middle of nowhere and be able to get home then be stranded with a broken transmission.
Hopefully, at some point we will have a SXS that does not have either of those problems. May be wishful thinking on my part but may as well dream big.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully, at some point we will have a SXS that does not have either of those problems. May be wishful thinking on my part but may as well dream big.
The dealer where I bought mine hasn't had any complaints about the Honda Talon, assuming they told me the truth. However, they did say that since they have been released not a single one has been traded in. But it's definitely something to worry about, if you spend 20k on a offroad machine you shouldn't have to worry about anything going wrong at least for the first couple of years. I have been looking in the the additional factory warranty that Honda offers. It's definitely tempting. Sport SxS - HondaCare® Protection Plan - Honda Powersports
This is assuming your not someone to mod the machine like crazy it keep it mostly "factory" besides accessories.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Talon X and like the room. I sat in a KRX and found that the ergonomics were really good. I rode in a YXZ and did not like the leg tunnel at all! It was tight. I also found a lack of shoulder room, especially uncomfortable was the shoulder bar. Was not impressed with the Yamaha.

Talon is nice but my RZR S1000 had a MUCH better ride!

·
Registered
2020 Honda 1000R Talon
16 Posts
Take the criticism on Honda’s with a grain of salt. At age 47 you most likely have more common sense than some out there that think they have a air boat or monster truck. Just saying 😉

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought 2 Talons, didn't look at the KRZ. Looked at the XYZ and RZR. Hard time finding RZR and wife wasn't a fan of manually shifting the XYZ SS.

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
26 Posts
Hey guy, as with anything some people experience is great and others are not so. Two guys buy the same sxs,truck,ATV or whatever and sometimes one guy has nothing but problems while the other is problem free. There is a reason you looked at the Talon and that’s the same reason I went with one. We all will have different experiences with the ame machine but I guess it will come down to customer service. If there was a machine no matter the make, model or brand that was so perfect there would be no need for warranty’s. Humans build these and humans make mistakes. Go with what you feel is the machine for you as we all have different opinions and that’s why we have choices👍🏼 Good luck and ride on!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m 6,4 with a 36 inch inseam as well. I really like my talon x . I was very concerned being tall, as most things are not made for taller people. I fit fine in my talon .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts