Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a chemist, so I have an interest in oils. Doing a search, I didn't come across any specific discussions about engine/transmission oil. The owner's manual recommends Honda GN4, which is a very basic dinosaur oil. Looking at servicemanagerpro, it recommends Honda's HP4S Synthetic. Have not seen the service manual yet, and what alternatives it lists.

I always prefer a synthetic that has an ester base, so I am running Redline Motorcycle which is an Ester/PAO blend, and has tons of ZDDP. In the past I have run Maxima and Motul products in my motorcycles and ATV's as well.

Also, in the owner's manual the general viscosity is listed as 10W30. It gives a outside air temperature chart that has a 5W30 alternative for colder weather and a 10W40 for hotter weather. Does anyone bother to change oil with the seasons? I live in the southwest, where the winters are mild, but the summers are very hot. In summer we mostly ride at high altitude to avoid the desert heat, but if I had to ride in 90+ degree F heat often, I suppose I would run 10W40.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Also, in the owner's manual the general viscosity is listed as 10W30. It gives a outside air temperature chart that has a 5W30 alternative for colder weather and a 10W40 for hotter weather. Does anyone bother to change oil with the seasons? I live in the southwest, where the winters are mild, but the summers are very hot. In summer we mostly ride at high altitude to avoid the desert heat, but if I had to ride in 90+ degree F heat often, I suppose I would run 10W40.
In Florida we just have two seasons -- Summer and almost Summer -- so I do not change oil with the seasons :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
i run 5 30 in the winter and 10 40 in the summer. but winter is at or below freezing here and summer is 70 to 90 ish. i prefer synthetic with the temps your talking about i would run the synthetic. but most of your modern dyno oils are very good oils.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I run Amsoil in most of my stuff. In my Honda Pioneer 1000 and my Talon 1000 I have noticed differences in the transmission shifting and overall noise of the machine once I went to Amsoil front to rear on them. I also have a Yamaha yxz that I switched over to Amsoil and noticed a difference in it also. The difference is probably minimal but I notice it.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I run Amsoil in most of my stuff. In my Honda Pioneer 1000 and my Talon 1000 I have noticed differences in the transmission shifting and overall noise of the machine once I went to Amsoil front to rear on them. I also have a Yamaha yxz that I switched over to Amsoil and noticed a difference in it also. The difference is probably minimal but I notice it.
:)
My preference is always full synthetic after the machine is broken in. Amsoil is a top quality product, the other lubricant I use is SuperATV Portal Oil and it will run in the differentials as well. Just make sure the product you select meets or exceeds Hondas specifications.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oils need to meet a price point, to remain economically competitive. Originally Amsoil base oil was PAO, fortified with ester. There is a some speculation that at some point they switched to a Group III base oil. Mobil 1 earned its great reputation back in the day as a PAO based oil, but quietly switched to Group III.

The new administration in Washington does not seem to be at all oil/gas friendly! Who knows what the future will hold for oil and gas based products. No doubt, we are in for some huge price increases!

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Oils need to meet a price point, to remain economically competitive. Originally Amsoil base oil was PAO, fortified with ester. There is a some speculation that at some point they switched to a Group III base oil. Mobil 1 earned its great reputation back in the day as a PAO based oil, but quietly switched to Group III.

The new administration in Washington does not seem to be at all oil/gas friendly! Who knows what the future will hold for oil and gas based products. No doubt, we are in for some huge price increases!
The same thing with Royal Purple!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a chemist, so I have an interest in oils. Doing a search, I didn't come across any specific discussions about engine/transmission oil. The owner's manual recommends Honda GN4, which is a very basic dinosaur oil. Looking at servicemanagerpro, it recommends Honda's HP4S Synthetic. Have not seen the service manual yet, and what alternatives it lists.

I always prefer a synthetic that has an ester base, so I am running Redline Motorcycle which is an Ester/PAO blend, and has tons of ZDDP. In the past I have run Maxima and Motul products in my motorcycles and ATV's as well.

Check out "Bob is the oil guy" website they get into the important details of the oils and there are many oil experts there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts