Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just reading all the mishaps with everyone's Talons. I just bought a 2021 Live valve. I live in Illinois so can't drive it literally anywhere. After I picked it up and drove it few miles in town, the steering wheel seemed loose. Gave it a good pull and it came off the column. Removing the center cover, the nut was never tightened. Its a nylon rimmed security nut and you could see it had never tapped threads into the nylon. Noticed today that one of the screws on the door netting was sharp. Upon closer inspection you could see plier marks on it plus they cross threaded it. I'm about ready to let Honda know. It seems like everyone is having a few little and major issues. Tomorrow I will check all the fluids as we are heading south for the winter and plan on putting lots of miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Be sure to get front and rear diffs, sub trans, and engine. Does not take long but good to get used to checking on a regular basis. Good idea to check all fluids while you are at it == brake fluid, radiator ...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ride Now in Goodyear, Az delivered my 1000R to me because they were a day late with setup. I was there with a trailer, waited a couple hours before they sent me home. Like many of you, I rode it about 40 miles before I started looking where maintenance checks were. I never had a walk through since mine was delivered to me. I looked at the sub trans and found oil wasn't on the dip stick at all. Checked it again with the stick screwed in all the way, and it barely touched the tip. The differential was low also. I checked all fluids when cold since I thought I was just familiarizing myself. I haven't checked after a warmup yet. But I don't think it will be much different. This isn't a Honda problem. We pay $700 for dealers to prepare these machines for customers. They aren't doing it. How many of you owners will take your machines back to them dealers for service work? Not me. Is it possible that all the differential leaks started with low oil levels? Could we see a class action suit in the future?

·
Registered
10 Posts
you should check your sub transmission's fluid level, checked mine when I got home and found no fluid on the dip stick, i had to add 26oz to get it up to the full mark on the dip stick, hope this helps some one else before any any major damage my occur
Tom.
San Diego, I had the same problem, New, Talon 4 seater, did the first service at 110 miles and found no oil in the sub transmission. I called Honda Manfactures, no help, might have been a poor idea, as Honda noted the problem therefore might voided the warrantee they said thus not Manfactures fault. I noticed no metal parts in the sub trans, and the Dealer gave me an extended warrantee. I now have 1,500 miles and no problems with the Transmission so far. If your a new buyer require dealer show you how to service your Honda and that all lube levels are full before driving.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hi Pilotom, sorry you had that problem, good idea to check all of the fluid levels as that seems to be a problem with some dealers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Today I sent an email to Honda corporate about this issue:
============================================
Topic: Dealership Experience
First Name
Last Name:
Email Address:
Zip Code
Phone:
VIN:
Vehicle Mileage: 220
Description: I bought a new 2020 Honda Talon 1000R 2 seater. I have lost faith in Honda products. I wish they would return to assembly in Japan. My sub transmission was 23.5 oz low. It should not have left the factory that way. Then I paid $700 for the dealer to prepare the machine. They didn't check and fill. This isn't an isolated case. I'm on a Talon forum and read it is typical. Honda's reliability reputation is nose diving. Below is what I posted on the forum:

Ride Now in Goodyear, Az delivered my 1000R to me because they were a day late with setup. I was there with a trailer, waited a couple hours before they sent me home. Like many of you, I rode it about 40 miles before I started looking where maintenance checks were. I never had a walk through since mine was delivered to me. I looked at the sub trans and found oil wasn't on the dip stick at all. Checked it again with the stick screwed in all the way, and it barely touched the tip. The differential was low also. I checked all fluids when cold since I thought I was just familiarizing myself. I haven't checked after a warmup yet. But I don't think it will be much different. This isn't a Honda problem. We pay $700 for dealers to prepare these machines for customers. They aren't doing it. How many of you owners will take your machines back to them dealers for service work? Not me. Is it possible that all the differential leaks started with low oil levels? Could we see a class action suit in the future?

This is the forum link where I posted. You need to read several of these other owners comments to see how typical this problem is.
Sub Transmission or (Transfercase) low oil level from dealer

Read some of these posts to see what is happening to your reputation. And how much money are you spending on warranty because these basic things aren't done. I think my Talon is okay. I have changed my oils, and all were clean. I will never take my Talon to a dealer that can't prepare a new machine for a sale properly. And it seems to be systemic for USA dealers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don’t trust the work at the dealers and I get it we pay the man for the setup, its like paying taxes - don’t like it. Is what it is. I just go over the machine or any machine when I get home, all fluids, as many nuts and bolts that I can get at and all the battery connections, etc....My theory as long as the basics and especially the fluids are full - less risk with a failure.

My sub transmission was low by about 8 ounces and that was after I am sure the dealer checked it as the paint mark color from the dealer was on the full cap.

Problem is all these machines are different with how to check oil anymore, no more screw it all the way in and unscrew it and check it, sometimes fill cap in, fill cap out, etc. My XP RZR has some procedure for the dry sump system.
No excuses for the shops, we pay for that knowledge, reality is the experienced techs are working on complicated repairs, and probably the less experienced on the new machines.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts