Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are we calling the transfer case a sub transmission? I think it confuses people. And the utter waste of band width on the internet, using the extra 3 letters. Is the front differential really the forward sub, sub transmission? Am I misunderstanding something?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Why are we calling the transfer case a sub transmission? I think it confuses people. And the utter waste of band width on the internet, using the extra 3 letters. Is the front differential really the forward sub, sub transmission? Am I misunderstanding something?
Get a Honda Maintenance Manual and stick with how they identify parts, makes it simple and only one name for a given part. Just my 2 cents.:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a Honda Maintenance Manual and stick with how they identify parts, makes it simple and only one name for a given part. Just my 2 cents.:)
Yes, I bought the manual. But for general discussions it seems we would continue using terminology that's been used for decades in the auto industry. There are many parts I look for that have a manufacturer's special name attached to it that I can't find in an index. They add a prefix word that may identify it somewhat more, but defies logic in an index. Not the best example, but two I recall are Driveshaft or Brake Cylinder. You need to look under Front or Rear in the index. Doesn't it make sense to index under Driveshaft with front and rear sub categories. Maybe lucky it wasn't listed as Cast Iron Front........... Okay, maybe I am just venting my own personal peeves.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
No worries, and for some reason they decided to name some of the parts in a nautical fashion, course that meets the submarine expectations of a few fellow riders! :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Because it is not a transfer case. It is another transmission that gives you more gears and reverse behind the main transmission (thus the name sub-transmission) and is always turning the front driveline and has no differentiation between front and rear like a true transfer case does. The 4WD engagement is done at the front "Final Drive Assembly", not in the sub-transmission like a Transfer Case does.

"Final Drive", another weird term in the UTV arena. The whole assembly is called the Final Drive but the parts inside are referred to as differential this and differential that. Go figure!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, I bought the manual. But for general discussions it seems we would continue using terminology that's been used for decades in the auto industry. There are many parts I look for that have a manufacturer's special name attached to it that I can't find in an index. They add a prefix word that may identify it somewhat more, but defies logic in an index. Not the best example, but two I recall are Driveshaft or Brake Cylinder. You need to look under Front or Rear in the index. Doesn't it make sense to index under Driveshaft with front and rear sub categories. Maybe lucky it wasn't listed as Cast Iron Front........... Okay, maybe I am just venting my own personal peeves.
You are making it much harder that it needs to be. Get the PDF version of the manual and Ctrl-F (Find) is you best friend.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
It is a puzzle and there are many ways to the end result :) -- even more fun when you start modding everything!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because it is not a transfer case. It is another transmission that gives you more gears and reverse behind the main transmission (thus the name sub-transmission) and is always turning the front driveline and has no differentiation between front and rear like a true transfer case does. The 4WD engagement is done at the front "Final Drive Assembly", not in the sub-transmission like a Transfer Case does.

"Final Drive", another weird term in the UTV arena. The whole assembly is called the Final Drive but the parts inside are referred to as differential this and differential that. Go figure!
I thought I might get some reactions to my question. And I did some researching before I posted. One was Wikipedia-transfer case, which I'll post here:
A transfer case is a part of the drivetrain of four-wheel-drive, all-wheel-drive, and other multiple powered axle vehicles. "The transfer case transfers power from the transmission to the front and rear axles by means of drive shafts. It also synchronizes the difference between the rotation of the front and rear wheels, and may contain one or more sets of low range gears for off-road use."

I have vented enough on this topic. I don't think Honda will change there terminology to my personal likes or dislikes.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
AGREED !!
It would be a mess if they renamed the parts every year or so. I must admit I do not like many of their naming conventions but Gprap is correct it would be a big mess -- the original part name was -- changed name in 2020 was --- new name is ??????????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.