Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after checking my fluids after my first 100 mile or 20 hr service done by the dealer I found my sub transmission a little low. Question is do any of you or can you run the hi-performance racing transmission oil in these things? I have been running it in my trx 450r since I bought it new in 04. It’s a 80w / 85w. The manual says 10-30w but so did my 450r. 0 issues and plz don’t post ( read the manual and use what it says) that’s a sheep mentality to me. TIA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Hi Makona Kanaka, did the 450 have transmission problems because of fluids? What made you come to the conclusion that thicker oil was better -- just curious. Were you solving a design problem of just experimenting. Did the 450s without the thicker oil have more problems? No worries, just trying to figure out if it a good move or not.

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bluedog, I have never had a single problem with that Trx 450r and I’ve ran nothing but it for 16 yrs in the tranny. I found out about it threw a 450r forum and talked to the service department about it. A lot of guys where using it in there tranny even the Crf 450r. I don’t know the mechanics of these sub transmissions and whether it would work too. That oil is Honda racing transmission oil. I did a double check on my service manual for the 450r and it states 10w-40w not the 80w-85w I’ve always used.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Thanks, Makona Kanaka still not sure if it is a good idea in Talons, I will keep an open mind but not changing for now. Who knows, it may help with the rough shifts from time to time -- that would be super. Keep us all posted if you run it in your Talon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't have any experience with that heavy of fluid in the sub trans. I know of some guys running the Honda fluid with Molly added and have been happy with how much easier it shifts from park through low. I personally use the amsoil products and have been extremely happy with the extra smoothness in the subtrans and in the shifting of the machine 1-6. My fear of going to that heavy of a weight would be during cold startups without a properly adjusted shift cable the talon has troubles engaging in low in those instances and thicker fluid might add to that. The low shift gate really needs about another eighth of an inch longer to load it better. I hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I don't have any experience with that heavy of fluid in the sub trans. I know of some guys running the Honda fluid with Molly added and have been happy with how much easier it shifts from park through low. I personally use the amsoil products and have been extremely happy with the extra smoothness in the subtrans and in the shifting of the machine 1-6. My fear of going to that heavy of a weight would be during cold startups without a properly adjusted shift cable the talon has troubles engaging in low in those instances and thicker fluid might add to that. The low shift gate really needs about another eighth of an inch longer to load it better. I hope that makes sense.
What are the actual experiences with Molly and how much are they adding. Also, how many miles with Amsoil and what is the exact product you are using. The more we can learn about what can improve shifting from High to Low the better, especially if changing fluids will help. I have always used synthetic whenever possible and have had great results. Just want to make sure it is an improvement before changing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This a thread that talks about the HP with moly. 14,000 Mile Report - The Honda Side by Side Club!

@BlueDog1210 you had to ask me to explain it didn't you!! Lol!🤪🤣

Okay I will try. I am considered by most of my friends and coworkers as an extremely anal person. I do not have enough time in my Talon yet with amsoil to use that as my experience. But I had put 3 to 4,000 mi on my Honda pioneer 1000 and it made a big difference to me in shifting through the gears and shifting through the sub transmission. I also run amsoil in my YXZ and it made a noticeable difference in smoothness of shifts and noise coming from the drivetrain. I run amsoil in every thing I own that uses oil. I am part owner of a family electric contracting business that has 30 plus vehicles on the road and we have switched to amsoil in all of those. We have literally doubled the length of time on our oil changes, lowered our fuel cost some, and have less maintenance on them than we used to. In my own personal diesel truck I tested it after every 15000 mile oil change and was eye opening at how much it protected the system compared to even Rotella. I could go on and on about my experiences that have made me trust it in my stuff when it counts. I have hundreds of thousands of miles and umpteen hours on amsoil products with nothing but great results. I know that sounds like an amsoil fanboy but it saves me money.

15918430055036712538385476783667.jpg
I use that in the engine and sub transmission.
15918430906274491669391588674047.jpg

And I use that in the front and rear diffs.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update.. well I’ve been talking with the service department about a warranty issue( nut zert in driver seat falling out) and still waiting for Honda to tell him what to do about it. So I beat him up about issues he has seen and the running of the Honda Racing TF , he said yes it’s great stuff but would not suggest switching to it till I am out of warranty. Honda may use it as a escape goat if I have a warranty issue. And as far as diff fluid I’m a Royal Purple full syn guy as I run that in my Diesel. Thanks and will be running the tranny fluid as soon as I can and will post any problems as they arise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts