Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are everyone’s thoughts on using royal purple 75/90 in the sub trans? I’ve been getting a lot of different views on it and just want to see what people think. I used Honda 75/90 gear lube in the 450r race quad forever with no issues. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
I always ran Redline Lightweight Shockproof in my Honda 450R trans. Same viscosity as a 30 weight engine oil, which is what is spec'd for the Talon. So, if you feel a need to be exotic....

I am running Redline Ester/PAO Synthetic 10W30 Motorcycle Oil in my Talon sub-trans and engine/wet clutch trans. Can't say I really notice all the noise and lack of smoothness, that some complain about. Maybe a little friction modifier in the sub-trans would make some people happier.

· Registered
402 Posts
What are everyone’s thoughts on using royal purple 75/90 in the sub trans? I’ve been getting a lot of different views on it and just want to see what people think. I used Honda 75/90 gear lube in the 450r race quad forever with no issues. Thanks in advance.
75/90 is too thick for the sub-trans, you will have a hard time shifting into low (and possibly reverse) until the sub-trans gets hot.

I use Honda HP4M 10/30 with Moly. Use 10/40 if you are in HOT climates. Shifts into Low and Reverse like butter :)

CAUTION: Only use oils with Moly in the Sub-Trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.