Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Talon X4, 32" BFG's and two car seats
48 Posts
Does anyone have a whine in sub trans. My talon is a 2019 bought it new. It has 8000 miles and always had a whine. Does anyone recommend using a different oil for sub trans?
Do you experience a whine nosie?
Its difficult to diagnose the whine you hear from a forum. There will always be some whine from the sub-trans and trans due to the way the gears are machined. However, with 8000 miles, the whine could be something else entirely.

Start with changing the subtrans oil.
Honda recommends using engine oil in the sub-trans. Not sure why...
Some folks have greatly minimized, but not entirely eliminated, the whine by using gear oil in the sub-trans. It has an additive package more suited to the gears within the subtrans.

Try these threads for more information:
trans noise | Honda Talon Forum (talonsxsforum.com)
Sub transmission oil | Honda Talon Forum (talonsxsforum.com)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its difficult to diagnose the whine you hear from a forum. There will always be some whine from the sub-trans and trans due to the way the gears are machined. However, with 8000 miles, the whine could be something else entirely.

Start with changing the subtrans oil.
Honda recommends using engine oil in the sub-trans. Not sure why...
Some folks have greatly minimized, but not entirely eliminated, the whine by using gear oil in the sub-trans. It has an additive package more suited to the gears within the subtrans.

Try these threads for more information:
trans noise | Honda Talon Forum (talonsxsforum.com)
Sub transmission oil | Honda Talon Forum (talonsxsforum.com)
I did read about not using a wet clutch oil could ease some of the noise. The whine has not gotten any worse since the day I bought it. It just get annoying. Do you have a talon?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did read about not using a wet clutch oil could ease some of the noise. The whine has not gotten any worse since the day I bought it. It just get annoying. Do you have a talon?
I have a X-4 but it has only 1200ish miles on it. Its definitely had a whine to it from day one but not near bad enough to suspect something is wrong with it. Like you stated, its just slightly annoying. Ive always suspected that the whine was a product of the straight cut gears.

I have a bottle of Lucas 75w90 synthetic that I intend to use on the next subtrans fluid change. I think I will change it this weekend to see if it makes a difference. Might also throw in a couple ounces of oil stabilizer to see if that makes the H-L-R engagement smoother.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. ....let me know what you think of the LUcas oil....Just surpirsed Honda used straight gears, because they are loud they do have noise. Our machine has been great not one problem with it. We just cruise the back dirt roads here in MIchigan. I just change the engine and trans oil religiously!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the reply. ....let me know what you think of the LUcas oil....Just surpirsed Honda used straight gears, because they are loud they do have noise. Our machine has been great not one problem with it. We just cruise the back dirt roads here in MIchigan. I just change the engine and trans oil religiously!
Straight cut gears are significantly cheaper to manufacture than helical gears. But for the Talon and Pioneer, they withstand the abuse just fine and are way better than CVT's.

If i can find the time to change the oil this weekend, Ill let you know how it affects the noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts