Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Talon 1000R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what does sport mode do and when should I use it or not use it? Going 20-27 mph the transmission is going down then up then down then up again. Makes for a jerky ride. Should sport mode be used then? Is it OK to use sport mode all the time? Confused new owner of 1000R.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Per the owner's manual, Sport Mode raises the shift points and keeps the engine at a little higher RPM. This is useful when driving aggressive but basically useless (even annoying) when casual trail riding...

The gear hunting also drove me nuts at first but it will get much better as the DCT learns your driving habits...

The manual explains how the paddles work in Auto. The reason you need to know this is because the DCT has adaptive learning so when in Auto mode, use the paddle shifters to override what gear the DCT thinks you should be in. Over time, the DCT programming adapts to your driving style and moves the shift points around to where you like them...

·
Registered
2021 Talon 1000R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Per the owner's manual, Sport Mode raises the shift points and keeps the engine at a little higher RPM. This is useful when driving aggressive but basically useless (even annoying) when casual trail riding...

View attachment 2261

The gear hunting also drove me nuts at first but it will get much better as the DCT learns your driving habits...

The manual explains how the paddles work in Auto. The reason you need to know this is because the DCT has adaptive learning so when in Auto mode, use the paddle shifters to override what gear the DCT thinks you should be in. Over time, the DCT programming adapts to your driving style and moves the shift points around to where you like them...

View attachment 2262
I only have 115 miles on but that constant jerking around between gears at those speeds 20-27 are driving me crazy...So the program learns my needs? I like it better in sport mode though....will it "learn" my driving habits then when using "sport" mode and adapt this later on in regular mode? Is that computer program that smart? So I really shouldn't let others drive it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
115 miles is no where near enough. Took mine something like 500 miles to start getting better. ECU will learn, springs will soften and the entire experience will get much better.

Normal and Sport are separate learning so they will not cross over. I use sport at the dunes and normal for everything else so they act vastly different on my rig. Sport shifts are at twice (or more) the RPM as normal for me. YMMV.

It takes quite some time to adapt so the occasional other driver should have little to no affect.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
127 Posts
I find myself using SPORT quite often. There are many times when low range is to much (plus I would have to stop to get into it), but regular mode isn't enough. So simple to just punch a button....I love it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts