Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I originally purchased a snorkel kit that required you to drill through the fender next to the air intake vent. Wasn't a fan of drilling through the plastics so I returned it, can anyone recommend a kit that goes through that grided intake vent or show me a DIY one that works well?

I wasn't a big fan of destroying that rear trunk area with only 2 hours on the machine. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know I'm late to that party... just got a new talon. So, Hi-Lifter has a kit that mentions a need to seal electrical components and include stuff and instructions in that kit. I too ain't a fan of cutting my talon when I haven't hit break-in yet. So, that Depth Finder kit intrigues me...but I want to make sure these "electrical components" are taken care of as well. WHO has information on this? Please share.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I'm late to that party... just got a new talon. So, Hi-Lifter has a kit that mentions a need to seal electrical components and include stuff and instructions in that kit. I too ain't a fan of cutting my talon when I haven't hit break-in yet. So, that Depth Finder kit intrigues me...but I want to make sure these "electrical components" are taken care of as well. WHO has information on this? Please share.
Hey I ended up going with a particle separator. I went with a kwt particle separator and I'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So, anyone with experience using the SuperATV Depth Finder snorkel kit? I've been communicating with them (SATV) with questions abut their use of "Check Valves" on vent hoses. My thoughts are that when you hit a puddle of water, and the transmission/differential/etc. cools suddenly, the air shrinks and creates a vacuum. Check Valve stops air/water from the vent hose...but what about the shaft seals? Are they going to be under vacuum and draw water/dirt into the case? I'm not a physicist, but I understand basics...and nature always wants to balance. So, that vacuum will not want to stay a vacuum.

Anyone? Buller...Buller...Buller

·
Registered
246 Posts
So, anyone with experience using the SuperATV Depth Finder snorkel kit? I've been communicating with them (SATV) with questions abut their use of "Check Valves" on vent hoses. My thoughts are that when you hit a puddle of water, and the transmission/differential/etc. cools suddenly, the air shrinks and creates a vacuum. Check Valve stops air/water from the vent hose...but what about the shaft seals? Are they going to be under vacuum and draw water/dirt into the case? I'm not a physicist, but I understand basics...and nature always wants to balance. So, that vacuum will not want to stay a vacuum.

Anyone? Buller...Buller...Buller
Check valves use on vent lines are problematic. Your scenario is only one problem. Another is dirt. Those valves work when new but once dirt gets to the valve, it no longer works. And in a SxS environment, dust is basically everywhere!

In my opinion, there is only one place a check valve should be used and that is the vent INSIDE the gas tank to prevent leaks when upside down. Other than that, if you are going in water deeper than the stock vents (about 28" is where the fuel tank vent will be under water) then you need to extend your vents, all of them. And stay away from gimmicks like vent check valves.

And don't forget the cooling fan vent or you will wipe out your cooling fan pretty fast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check valves use on vent lines are problematic. Your scenario is only one problem. Another is dirt. Those valves work when new but once dirt gets to the valve, it no longer works. And in a SxS environment, dust is basically everywhere!

In my opinion, there is only one place a check valve should be used and that is the vent INSIDE the gas tank to prevent leaks when upside down. Other than that, if you are going in water deeper than the stock vents (about 28" is where the fuel tank vent will be under water) then you need to extend your vents, all of them. And stay away from gimmicks like vent check valves.

And don't forget the cooling fan vent or you will wipe out your cooling fan pretty fast.
That is where my brain is too. I really like the SNORKEL part of the Depth Finder kits from SuperATV, but I like the vent lines being extended to above water like the Warrior kit from SYA has. So, I buy the SATV kit, then have to buy more hose and connectors for a kit that already costs $100 more than the SYA kit. Very discouraging.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey all,

I originally purchased a snorkel kit that required you to drill through the fender next to the air intake vent. Wasn't a fan of drilling through the plastics so I returned it, can anyone recommend a kit that goes through that grided intake vent or show me a DIY one that works well?

I wasn't a big fan of destroying that rear trunk area with only 2 hours on the machine. Thanks in advance!

I agree and I am having the same issue with my Honda, SXS..2020..not wanting to cut into the finders, I am just using a lot of filters waiting for a solution I like..Pilotom. San Diego

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree and I am having the same issue with my Honda, SXS..2020..not wanting to cut into the finders, I am just using a lot of filters waiting for a solution I like..Pilotom. San Diego
I ended up going with a particle separator, KWT. It saves me from having to replace the filter all the time, and has worked great thus far. While you do have to cut into the plastics, it's not the fender but the side. Pics attached, I'd highly recommend it! All you need is a whole saw bit and it's pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
43 Posts
10-80 dirtsports will have a great solution once he moves from proto to manufactured. I am the lucky one that has proto-B and am testing down in Baja. Brian did a remarkable job. It's lightweight, strong, one piece and does not core any plastic and looks great.
@10-80dirtsports
Vehicle Sky Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Light

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood

·
Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
43 Posts
I have the 4 seater with full rear window? will yours work with full rear window?s
He designed it with a rear window in mind. He has not started production yet afaik, due to bandwidth. I'm down in San Felipe if you want to look at it. Mine is a 4 seater also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts