Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2021 1000-X SE
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm wondering what skid plate everyone is using. I tore up my stock one pretty bad rock climbing in Tennessee. I've looked at the one from super ATV and Trail armor. They range $700-$1300 depending on the style. I'm having a hard time spending this kind of money on 1/2 inch plastic. Has anyone installed either of these or suggest another more reasonable brand? Also I'm reading a lot about adding frame supports, I'd love to hear thoughts on that also. Thanks

· Super Moderator
342 Posts
A skid plate is always going to be one of my first recommendations for a new machine if you play in the rocks. Definitely go with the 1/2". If you're interested in ours, I can get you a little forum member discount. Shoot me a PM if you decide to pull the trigger.

· Registered
2021 1000-X SE
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A skid plate is always going to be one of my first recommendations for a new machine if you play in the rocks. Definitely go with the 1/2". If you're interested in ours, I can get you a little forum member discount. Shoot me a PM if you decide to pull the trigger.
Thanks man! I'm considering the one you guys make.

· Registered
404 Posts
That one actually came stock on my machine. After one trip to the mountains it has multiple holes. I don't want any frame damage and need something a little more heavy duty.
All Talons (including the SE models) come with a 1/8 thick ABS "Dust Cover" they loosely refer to as a skid plate. The thing is useless for rock crawling.

The one in the link above is a little better at 1/4" thick HMWPE but I would not recommend it either.

You should be looking at one of the 1/2" UHMW products. UHMW is slightly better than HMWPE as it is a little stiffer and has a higher tensile strength.

I like the FactoryUTV unit. It wraps up the front more than the others and protects the diff and winch better...

· Registered
1 Posts
Was that a used skid plate? Thanks
[/QUOTE
Hey guys! I'm wondering what skid plate everyone is using. I tore up my stock one pretty bad rock climbing in Tennessee. I've looked at the one from super ATV and Trail armor. They range $700-$1300 depending on the style. I'm having a hard time spending this kind of money on 1/2 inch plastic. Has anyone installed either of these or suggest another more reasonable brand? Also I'm reading a lot about adding frame supports, I'd love to hear thoughts on that also. Thanks
i went with Trail Armor , it fit perfect and seems to be holding up great

· Registered
2020 1000X-4
13 Posts
Hi, I have the Trail Armor with rock sliders and front A-arm guards and am very happy with it. It was spendy but well worth it. The bottom and sides are completely protected and it allows you to get aggressive when rock crawling. It changed my riding style to were you can purposely hit rocks to pivot and slide over and not just always trying to avoid them. I wish I would have gotten the Trail Armor sooner because I dented up my lower a-arms and frame along the sides pretty good before installing

· Registered
28 Posts
I would highly recommend the Trail Armour skid plate with the integrated rock sliders. I regret not getting it sooner and I damage my frame at Windrock. I’ve got the a-arm protectors also that by the look of them have saved me from a lot more damage. They are expensive but they are worth it if are do a lot of hard, rocky riding. I also been happy with their mud flaps.

· Registered
2021 1000-X SE
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All Talons (including the SE models) come with a 1/8 thick ABS "Dust Cover" they loosely refer to as a skid plate. The thing is useless for rock crawling.

The one in the link above is a little better at 1/4" thick HMWPE but I would not recommend it either.

You should be looking at one of the 1/2" UHMW products. UHMW is slightly better than HMWPE as it is a little stiffer and has a higher tensile strength.

I like the FactoryUTV unit. It wraps up the front more than the others and protects the diff and winch better...

Thanks for sharing the link! I like the X brace too.

· Registered
4 Posts

· Registered
2021 Talon1000x-4
9 Posts
Superatv's. Works great so far in AZ mountains. https://www.superatv.com/honda-talon-1000x-4-full-skid-plate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.