Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to re-adjust their shocks from factory setting? I am having difficulty locating specs from Fox Shocks advising the recommended adjustment for their 2.5 shocks on the Talon X? I am hoping readjustment might allow for more shock absorption on the rougher terrain?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Open up you gap on cross over to pre load stops so you are riding on top soft spring more.. I bought new springs for my R it helped a lot. I find it wants to buck real bad in the rear if you try to jump it in stock set up.

I am running 1.5" in front and 2.5 in the rear cross over gap

·
Registered
35 Posts
Open up you gap on cross over to pre load stops so you are riding on top soft spring more.. I bought new springs for my R it helped a lot. I find it wants to buck real bad in the rear if you try to jump it in stock set up.

Please send pictures of what you did, and where you measurements are from.
Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
These measurements gave me 13.5 “ front and 12” rear after 125 mile at Tackett with250 lbs passenger I have lost about .5 in the front and 1” in rear . shock Therapy claims that you’re have to reset your ride height once after around 150 miles and it should hold that.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
With the x having different shocks, we are comparing apples to oranges. My X tender springs are near coil bind. I have added a tailgate with coolers and a 4.5 gallon gas vessel, so I’m wondering if I need stiffer tender springs with the added weight?
5AAEDBE4-753A-48AD-8F4B-69A0CEC251BD.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
With the x having different shocks, we are comparing apples to oranges. My X tender springs are near coil bind. I have added a tailgate with coolers and a 4.5 gallon gas vessel, so I’m wondering if I need stiffer tender springs with the added weight?
Coil bind is how the X's springs crossover, it is intentional. I would not recommend stiffer tender springs, that will just make the ride even stiffer than it already is. What you need is longer tender springs and crossover rings.

Places like Shock Therapy collects much data from you and sends you 8 springs (and crossover rings if you have an X) depending on you weight and riding style, not a "one size fits all" spring like Honda (and everyone else for that matter) do.

Watch the install video at the bottom of this page and notice how much different the springs are that Shock Therapy uses. The tender springs are much longer and starting at around 8:17, the rear is entirely different...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shock Therapy will recommend a revalve, and they're right. From the discussions I've read, the issue with the X coilovers are rooted more in valving than spring. Problem is, after you've spent ~$1600, you're still stuck with 2" body shocks (the R comes with 2.5" damper bodies), with sub-standard adjustment capabilities. I would look to the aftermarket for reliable, 2.5", fully adjustable (at least high/low compression and rebound), matched to your typical load & use. Spring rate and valving must be matched to work together properly. First, the proper spring rate is determined, then, shim stacks are used to provide the appropriate amount of compression and rebound resistance, within the adjustment range, to properly control that spring. Companies like Ohlins perform on vehicle testing for every coilover setup they sell, with excellent performance results on a variety of vehicle types and use. Suspension is far more important than power, especially in off-road applications. Honda fell short on the X suspension, and if they improve it soon, I'd like to buy one. In my situation, I'm not up to spending 10%+ of the cost of a $20K toy to get the suspension right. Honda put better dampers on the R, and they're competitors are providing better sorted stock suspension in the same price point area. I'd also like to see them fix the air intake issue, before I buy. Meanwhile, I have other off-road toys to play with, and if Honda drags its' feet too long on fixing 1st gen issues, perhaps I'll look at how well the new Kawis are doing, after they get some hours on them. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Call G force In TN 1 423 677 9280. they are a large FOX shock dealer and know there stuff. New springs . valving and mod to run better dampening controllers, around $2200. I have the shock therapy spring kit for my R. and there is so much pre load that ever time my front end come off the ground you can hear the shock slapping as it hits full stroke. and the top tender spring don't fit right they rub the cross over really bad. it does ride softer but IDK if it is worth the $ , you could probably open up your cross over gab and get a softer ride or just change tender spring on the R. on the X I would try tender springs the factory top spring on a X is not a tender spring it a a keeper spring, to keep tension on the main spring at full stroke.

if your trail ridding Fox 2.0 are fine.

both the X and R need re valved to make them ride like that should. spring are only part of the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the x having different shocks, we are comparing apples to oranges. My X tender springs are near coil bind. I have added a tailgate with coolers and a 4.5 gallon gas vessel, so I’m wondering if I need stiffer tender springs with the added weight? View attachment 250 View attachment 250
Look up Bandit springs. You can buy just the rear tender springs. Thats all I changed and its a whole different machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts