Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a fan of all the shifting ..... just take the foot off the gas, and it shifts down - cant drive it slow or it sounds like it鈥檚 wanting to shift but WONT ... 馃槨 can this problem be solved

Premium Member
Hi Denise faber, first of all welcome to the Talon forum and I do hope you can find help with your shift problem. First what year and make is your Talon, I assume you are driving in the automatic mode, you can use the manual mode and then you set the point that it shifts by using the paddle shifters. That is the mode I prefer when rock crawling or in the mud/water. I am sure you will get other advice as well. Do send a picture of your ride and locations you like to ride. Have fun and be safe. :)

Registered
Not a fan of all the shifting ..... just take the foot off the gas, and it shifts down - cant drive it slow or it sounds like it鈥檚 wanting to shift but WONT ... 馃槨 can this problem be solved
Even in automatic mode, you can over ride it with the paddles. I find myself doing that sometimes. Otherwise I just ignore it. The car knows what gear is best. let it do its thing and just enjoy the ride.

Registered
2021 Talon 1000R
The machine adjusts to your riding habits too. Be patient!
ya... but how many miles does it take to smooth out! I have a stock 2021 1000R with 150 miles on it. Mine is constantly going 1st to 2nd then 3rd then back to 2nd when it does this it jerks us pretty bad, so bad my wife doesn't want to ride in it. I keep on hearing in these forums that it will "learn" your driving habits. But will it ever be as smooth as a belt drive? Makes me want to go back to a CVT belt car...:unsure:

Registered
won鈥檛 ever be a belt car for smooth accel/decal - it鈥檚 like a F1 motor strapped into willys jeep

harsh suspension amplifies the jerky jerky beating u take

machine wants to breath and run more open IMO - love mine when things open up, hate it when the trails get tight, slow and rocky

Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
ya... but how many miles does it take to smooth out! I have a stock 2021 1000R with 150 miles on it. Mine is constantly going 1st to 2nd then 3rd then back to 2nd when it does this it jerks us pretty bad, so bad my wife doesn't want to ride in it. I keep on hearing in these forums that it will "learn" your driving habits. But will it ever be as smooth as a belt drive? Makes me want to go back to a CVT belt car...:unsure:
Use it in manual shift mode if you don't like the way it is shifting for you automatically. Learn to use your machine to its potential; that's part of off roading.

Registered
150 miles is nothing, especially if you are doing a bunch of slow or short trips. The machine doesn't have enough data to adapt. Took mine a good 500 miles to even start to shift properly. 3500 miles later and I think it is about as good as you can expect.

FYI, Regular and Sport have separate adaptive learning. I have been able to use Regular for normal riding and Sport for the dunes and it has adapted pretty good for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts