Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
If you have not done it yet clean and then spray with penetrating oil all of the shift mechanism. I have to do that from time to time and I hope that helps. I know the biggest negative with our Talons is the shift from hi to low. I hope Honda comes up with a better shifter at some point, I know I would buy one. I have tried other shift plates as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd suggest taking it back to your dealership and demanding that they fix the problem before your's ends up in the service department for the next half a year like mine with chewed up transmission! I'm just hoping Honda will fix it since its just 11 months old. They said it would take over a month just to get a response from honda when they turn it in to them to make a decision! Meanwhile its the best time of the year to ride and me and my wife.....we're walking after paying $20K 11 months ago! I own a big farm and fix equipment everyday and I can tell you first hand that everything built these days is trash compared to what it was 20 years ago and that includes HONDA PRODUCTS! My industrial equipment used to last 20-30 years and now your lucky to get 1-2 years out of it if that! Some of it don't last 6 months! So if you are having trouble, you better take it in now before you are walking like me! At this point I'm wishing I would have bought a Polaris or Yamaha! I own a Polaris sportsman 850 and a Yamaha Grizzly 700 and they've never given us a seconds trouble! I don't believe for one second that Honda is any better quality these days than any of the rest of them. I own all of them and right now I have 3 broken honda's and none of the others have broke yet! I'm sure they will at some point! Just my experience after owning all this stuff for the past 35 years.

·
Registered
!919 Honda Talon1000x
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I adjusted my shifter cable and oiled all parts of the cable. All is good I"ve got over 3000 miles on it and like it. There are a few things I changed on it to better things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I adjusted my shifter cable and oiled all parts of the cable. All is good I"ve got over 3000 miles on it and like it. There are a few things I changed on it to better things.
First, I want you to know that we love our talon, its been fun to drive and we really don't have any regrets as long as they'll pay for the repairs.

We adjusted our shifter twice and the dealership adjusted it and its still kicked in and out of gear. I think it never was all the way in low and eventually it ate the gearing up inside. However the display would always say it was in low and when you started putting stress on it, it would pop in and out of engagement. It wouldn't just come out and stay out, if you were going up a steep hill and it popped out, the engine would start revving, you would momentarily stop moving forward and suddenly a huge bang and slamming together of gears where it went back in and up the hill you'd go. This did not happen all the time, just here and there so you really never knew when to expect it. And you could think you had it fixed and ride 2-3 times with no issues, then on the 4th ride, boom, here we go again. I've always loved honda, but in my honest opinion there stuff just isn't bullet proof like it used to be.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Ok here is a look at how small the contact area is on the engager in this case look for the edge that is rounded. It does not take much and it will not engage. To quote one of the sources I contacted the sub transmission is built like a Switch Watch, and sacrifices strength. If you get just one or two rough shifts -- the loud band -- that is enough to round of the contact area and damage it. This is true for High, Low and Reverse. Look closely and there were metal particles in the case just had to look closely. You will not find huge chunks of metal just flakes where the edge is worn off. I am considering my options now. If I replace just the one part and low it will work again but for how lone?

In any case take a look. I left the pictures fairly large. Should be a nice square and it is rounded. You can also see some small metal flakes -- that is all it takes to prevent low from engaging. I am doing the work by myself and going slow. And if you can turn a wrench you can do this. It takes a lot of time and patience. Time, if I had decided to get to the dealer they would not have started yet ant the price to get this far would be astronomical. If you don't know the sub trans a maintenance will help you find the part and the damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't mind changing a belt every few years, but a transmission? I don't think so! Thanks for the pics, but Honda is gonna have to step up and do the work and pay for it. I already threw down $20,000 11 months ago! Once mine is repaired I'm gonna sell it and get a Yamaha RMAX or a Polaris General XP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts