Honda Talon Forum banner

Shattered Rear Differential

11K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  enigma 
#1 ·
2019 Honda Talon 1000 R differential problems. I ride with a good friend and last weekend his rear differential gave out. He noticed something funny with the Talon and pulled over, at that point we did not isolate the problem. In just a few minutes and of course in the middle of a pond his differential gave out. Small hole about half of the size of a dime in the rear differential case cracked case in the front as well. Not sure what went wrong, and it is under warranty, we will just have to see what the dealer finds. He suspects the transmission may also be a problem but nothing from the dealer yet. Looks like he will be down for a while but he does have VIP service. so I hope that helps. We suspect a tooth gave way and became lodged against the case and made the hole, but we are not sure.

Any other problems with the rear differentials you know of?

I will post outcome.

#6 ·
Bad news, Honda said they would not cover damage. Want $1,200 to repair. The entire rear diff is about $500.00 not a good trade off. Individual paid for extended warranty and VIP service and service contract to boot. Seems like the extended warranty is not worth it! I recommended he go back and challenge Honda or ask for a refund on the extended warranty, that would pay for the repair and 100.00 plus and hour mechanic bill! I also offered to help him install the differential and have an auto lift and air tools to help, he just wants his Talon back and I think he may actually trade it in when it is fixed.

#7 ·
Update, wow they soaked him with a bill over 2K, at the same time they replaced a battery for no apparent reason and the polarity on the new one was reversed -- this is from the dealer. In any case, If Honda did refuse to honor their warranty with him, I have no chance that the extended warranty working for me so I went to the dealer and requested a refund. It will take a few months (wonder why) and then Honda will drop that amount off what I owe. Honda requires dealers to take loads of pictures and it is all about finding one thing that will void the warranty, at that is least what it seems like to me.

Warranty, not worth it if Honda will not honor it and you do not even have to have modifications!

#8 ·
I have had this exact problem. Blamed me for “submerging” my rig to get water in the display. Dealer covered it himself as he didn’t feel it was my fault, finding a spot where water could get right in. No warranty coverage or extended warranty coverage. Only reason I am keeping it is for the change they will cover things in the future. The X4 FLV has so much electronics in it.

#10 ·
Update -- now the front diff light is on -=- this was after the dealer repaired the rear. Intresting the + and - on the battery were reversed from the dealer and first problem my buddy had to fix. That is not good and he paid them $120 an hour for the work. They charged him for a new battery and after he returned they droped the charge and a few other items but the bill was sky high.

#11 ·
Ok my buddy is having better luck than I am. After the dealership did a very poor job on the differential, another problem popped up the I 4WD stopped working. He took it to a different dealer and they covered the work under warranty and are replacing the clutch mechanism in the front diff. Very expensive and he wishes he would have taken it there for the other work. It seems every dealer is different regarding warranty work.

#13 ·
Update on my Buddy's Talon, it is still in the shop, they fixed the rear end and now working on front drive. They have been working on that for over three months. What a mess! Doogle is correct extended warranty is a crapshoot and many items are not covered if they even honor the contract.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.