Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently completed a road trip where we stayed at several hotels and AirBNBs. Besides removing the key (DUH!) and chaining the Talon to the trailer, what else are you all doing to secure your SxS and trailer overnight?

·
Registered
323 Posts
if anything and I don't do it, remove the steering wheel.

here is my mental state - if they want it, they will probably hijack the truck with the trailer as its way easier - not much I can do about that - ill just have to call insurer

·
Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
45 Posts
Get a 30' or so wrapped cable and route it through trailer wheels and the UTV. Also, use a non standard lock on your hitch pin. Will it stop a dedicated thief? Probably not but will deter the opportunity sfb's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I generally lock mine to the the trailer, then back it up to something so it can't be rolled off the back of the trailer. I figure if they can steal the truck, then there isn't much I can do, just trying to make it hard for them and not too hard on me! I have wondered about a master kill switch though. . . .

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
Chain the Talon to the trailer and chain the trailer to the truck, all using Kryptonite's best rated locks and chains. And a lock on the brake pedal of the truck. I left an ATV like this once for several days out in a busy part of the Mojave Desert, and nobody got anything.

·
Registered
2020 1000R
8 Posts
A wireless driveway alarm helps me sleep at night. One sensor laying face up on the Talon's floor. One sensor sitting in my truck bed facing my gear. Carry the receiver with you to your motel room. It can be set to quietly chime or sound a loud alarm. At home I actually use it for a driveway alert.
Amazon.com : Driveway Alarm, 1byone Motion Sensor 1000ft Operating Range, 36 Melodies, Home Security Alert System with 1 Plug-in Receiver and 2 Weatherproof PIR Motion Detector, Protect Indoor/Outdoor Property : Electronics

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just close the door on toyhauler problem solved
Sorry for the smarta** remark but I live in a area where I just park it with no problems so far fenced yard of course but I would just lock it and up your insurance for full replacement

Yo Danbum thanks for the link for the alarm I just purchased it for the pad great tip thanks

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
50 Posts
I am a drag racer and have a very costly car and lots of expensive parts and tools in my trailer. The freeking thieves have stopped stealing trailers, they are taking the whole rig. All the above suggestions are good, but you better have a GPS on your rig. I tow with a diesel truck and I remove about 3 relays from my fuse box, chain the trailer to the truck, try to park it where it can bee seen by security if there is any, and chain and lock the trailer wheels together wrapped around the axle. So far I have been ok, but I know several people that have lost lots of money. My suggestion is you almost can't do enough. Nothing is overkill these days.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
And....when mine is off the trailer, either in the garage or a campground, I run a Kryptonite chain and lock through a spoke hole on one of the rear wheels then up around the frame. Not going anywhere like that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.