Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching Intercom systems. Looking at Rugged Radio and the.COM. Anyone have input ? Leaning towards the.COM. I like the overhead console for easy install and removal.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at COM in dash setup, looked like it would fit. I really like the over head console, I already have a switch plate with all the lights and winch power in it. Didn't really want to move it. It also would be easy to remove for washing. I'm not a mudder, but man these things hold the dirt inside and out.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point Ticster, I see that issue with my GPS navigation tablet i mounted above. But not hard to adapt, probably should be pulling off the trail before using it anyway.

· Registered
66 Posts
I have been researching Intercom systems. Looking at Rugged Radio and the.COM. Anyone have input ? Leaning towards the.COM. I like the overhead console for easy install and removal.
I have the Same Rugged Radio Honda Talon kit. New 4 seater 2020, I Bought new Communications, Rugged, last year and still trying to get rid of the Radio Engine Static interference, hopefully their Radio Fliter in the kit was faulty, other wise not installed properly. Make sure you have an installer that knows Honda Talon and they can install with very little to no noise interference..Rugged Radio does have good customer service, but at this point I am not happy with the Rugged Radio, I did like that it only use limited space to be installed. I wish my original installer would have know radio was not working properly and they tried to fix it knowing the sound quality was not correct. PCI makes a great system but it take up more dash space than the Rugged, PCI might be more expensive but possibly higher quality is my thinking? Again, Rugged does have quality customer support so tell them my story and ask their suggestions..San Diego
San Diego,

· Registered
2021 Talon 1000X4
22 Posts
Are you gentlemen going to your local dealerships to have the intercom systems installed? Sounds like theres a lot of folks using Rugged Radio, anyone on the forum using the COM systems from Idaho? I’m interested in these systems especially for long rides with 4 people in tow, but the cost is hard to swallow after already shelling out $27K for the machine and accessories already.

· Registered
2021 Talon 1000X4
22 Posts
Ok, after watching a Deranged Off Road video on less expensive alternatives to full Rugged Radio and COM set ups I ordered the following:

FlightCom IISX Portable Intercom $120

FlightCom SR4 Expansion Module to expand the IISX to 4 head sets $50

And four Rugged Radios RA200 Aviation Noise Cancelling head sets for $85 ea

After tax and shipping, $567 for the whole set up with four headsets. We’ll see how it works! It should fill my need, the only thing I may have to figure out is how to interface it with VHF radios, but I might be able to to do so with Bluetooth connection to my VHF handhelds I already own.

Links to the products and video:

IIsx – Shop – Flightcom

SR4 Expansion Module for IIsx – Shop – Flightcom

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6KE0RC?psc=1&smid=AMJNHH8IAK3KS&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

· Registered
2021 Talon 1000X4
22 Posts
I was able to get out and ride with three buddies yesterday and though I need to figure out a better way to manage the cables, this intercom set up worked great! We unloaded at the edge of the Wenas State Forest on the East slope of the Cascades in Central Washington and made a 43 mile loop up the Jeep trails to a sick rock area called the Funny Rocks at 5,600’. Awesome ride and much more enjoyable with the headsets on. The ride took about 6 hours and the intercom ran the whole time on one 9V battery. Not a perfect solution, but a highly functional one at a fraction of the cost.

· Registered
66 Posts
I bought the Honda Talon Kit from Rugged, had a certified dealer in Yuma Arizona install it, they said the noise interference was normal. I took it to another Talon dealership and they said it was installed properly but some part is faulty? so I ordered another new Rugged noise filter and hopefully that is my problem. Rugged radio only took one dash vacant compartment on my Honda Talon, that was good, but PCI makes a radio communication sound system that probably is a better radio, little more money but worth it, but it takes both dash vacant compartments? Rugged does have good customer service...

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the Honda Talon Kit from Rugged, had a certified dealer in Yuma Arizona install it, they said the noise interference was normal. I took it to another Talon dealership and they said it was installed properly but some part is faulty? so I ordered another new Rugged noise filter and hopefully that is my problem. Rugged radio only took one dash vacant compartment on my Honda Talon, that was good, but PCI makes a radio communication sound system that probably is a better radio, little more money but worth it, but it takes both dash vacant compartments? Rugged does have good customer service...
Thanks for the input, went with rugged. Made a good overhead mounting system. So far so good. No extra noise.

· Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the input, went with rugged. Made a good overhead mounting system. So far so good. No extra noise.
Hopefully when I replace new noise filter my noise problem gets fixed, having filter installed when I do the fuel pump recall in a few weeks. Rugged thinks it could be the routing of antenna wire? but I had two dealers say it looks like a proper radio install.

· Registered
12 Posts
I looked at COM in dash setup, looked like it would fit. I really like the over head console, I already have a switch plate with all the lights and winch power in it. Didn't really want to move it. It also would be easy to remove for washing. I'm not a mudder, but man these things hold the dirt inside and out.
According to the COM this is what they say about weather /washing/water.
Can it Handle Water?
Don’t pressure wash any electronics up close, but the S4S solid front faceplace means water splashing from rain/snow and machine washings won’t be a problem.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi Jeremy, can you tell me about your tablet mount setup? I'm curious what you're using. Thanks
It’s a Mob Armor T2-110 Enclosure for an IPad 11 pro (I’m using an IPad Air 4 in it because they have the same case dimensions and buttons) The mounting hardware is the Ram Mount C size setup with a 75mm VESA plate to connect to the Mob Armor case. It handles going through the whoops at 70 plus with no problem.

· Registered
100 Posts
I have two Talon’s, a 2019 2-Seater R and a 2021 2-Seater X LV. When I bought the R it had the Rugged Radios intercom/radio bundle installed. It had pretty bad engine noise interference. BTW, the mic picks up a lot of engine noise if you have the squelch set too low and the mic is open all the time. To confirm grab the mic and hold it tightly in the palm of your hand, much if the noise will stop. That isn’t technically a problem, but the electric static that is tied to RPM is a problem. After doing a ton of trouble shooting the only solution that worked was a clean power source, not the engine battery. Which is impractical. So I bought an EMI Noise filter off of Amazon
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S8VKG9...abc_80YWH4DNGJ0Y26NVK98N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 )
And put it on the power line after the Rugged Noise filter before the radio/intercom. It made a huge difference. I then installed the same exact radio setup on my X LV and it had the identical problem. I bought the same filter and accidentally installed it before the Rugged filter which had no effect. Moving to after their filter and just like the R the engine noise tied to RPM is gone. So either 1) the Rugged noise filters are designed incorrectly or 2) are faulty but the don’t solve the problem.

Either way I am happy to have resolved that issue!

· Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the input, i'm pretty sure the COM set does all that as well, but not sure about the answer the phone part. I need to check that out.
I have theCom in my car. I have really liked it. It does answer the phone and I have had several conversations while out riding. I have not been on the receiving end of a call though, so I can not really say about the quality/comfort of being on that end. The call works with the squelch as well, so there isn't an open mic on your end all the time like on a normal phone call. You still have to speak loud enough to open the mic, it is a bit awkward, but works.

The install is easy peasy, most of the time spent was to make it look clean. We enjoy the rides a lot more now, and since I have a 4-seater, you can actually have a conversation with those in the rear. I have not really had a chance to use the 2-way radios since I almost never ride with other cars.

I was very tempted to go the low-budget route, but am happy with the setup I have. There are a few quirks I haven't quite figured out, like why the music pauses sometimes, but not all the time when someone talks (honestly I would prefer it to just keep playing). The controls are pretty easy, I did hard wire an on/off switch into the base as I did not want to do as was suggested by theCom and unplug it each time I left the machine. I am wired directly to the battery, I think they have a built-in noise filter, but followed their advice by connecting to "clean" power right at the battery and am happy with it.

What ultimately swayed me to theCom instead of RR was 1) stereo sound in the headseats, and 2) I really liked the overhead console, and 3) supporting a somewhat local small business.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts