Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been on here since i bought my x in November. I absolutely love the machine and have done quite a few upgrades. I've got many a good idea from this site! Now i need your help. I was at the lake this past weekend and a buddy that builds jeeps was interested in the talon. I let him drive around an open field. He tried to cut a donut at 15-20 and the machine rolled pretty violently 1.5 times. There is some obvious plastic damage and the drivers door is stiff to open. He said he would pay for any damage as i found it. Im wondering what all do I need to check? Look for stress cracks on roll cage and frame? Suspension? I almost want to tell him to buy mine and let me go get another one since he was interested in purchasing one anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you, Thompson

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just my 2 cents - if the door is hard to open and it’s not simple hardware - the frame may be tweaked.

I’d take it to a dealer - have frame checked - it frame is bent - typically insurance will take over and pay you out.

If frame is good - then you have piece of mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm taking it to dealer tomorrow for them to check it out. Hopefully the frame is good. It may actually be the oem honda upper doors thats making the doors stiff to open. I figured she would end up on its side one day, just figured it would be me that did it, and not in an open field... I guess thats what i get for letting a jeep guy drive. Lol just kidding. Id really hate for it to be totaled and really don't want it to go on my insurance either. Guess we'll see what the dealership finds in a week or so.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stuff happens - not too many people wake up wanting to roll their friends machine.

Hope all is well with frame and other components and you get back on trail quickly!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn’t plan on everything being ok. The roll cages that come with these talons are absolute garbage. I rolled mine a month ago and the cage bent down into my seat and smashed my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The roll cage is designed to protect the passengers and not the Talon. There are aftermarket ones for racing and serious rock crawling and they are fairly expensive and do a much better job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly it really doesn't look bad. I just want to make sure the machine doesn't pretzel up the next time it happens. Nobody got seriously hurt this time thankfully. I always figured I would end up rolling it someday. Just didn't think it would happen how it did. Dropped it off on the 9th and still haven't heard back from dealer. Maybe the machine itself will be ok and it'll just need a new cage. If that's the case, I will definitely go with a better aftermarket cage. That being said, is there any way to fully enclose an aftermarket cage? I like being able to ride in all kinds of weather conditions, minus this heat wave. Currently has honda plexi front and back windshield and doors. I know u can get windshields and roofs with aftermarket cages. Not sure about rear or side windows. I really like the Honda upper doors with the latch on the outside. Every other one besides honda i have seen are zippers and/or velcro to get in and out and that seems like a royal pita. Hopefully they call this week and I will go from there
Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts