Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Last year my family spent a few days in the Black Hills of SD while traveling to CO to ride for a week. This summer we are planning to go back to the Black Hills to ride for a week. We need trail and lodging recommendations as well as SXS rental recommendations for some friends that will be going with us that don't have their own SXS. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
We rented a vbro last year fully stocked except for food. 100 a night. Download the app and pay the 20 bucks for all the trails and just k isten to ur navigator. From what we saw rentals are expensive in my opinion. Trails are amazing and utvs are just like cars out there drive everywhere.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We rented a vbro last year fully stocked except for food. 100 a night. Download the app and pay the 20 bucks for all the trails and just k isten to ur navigator. From what we saw rentals are expensive in my opinion. Trails are amazing and utvs are just like cars out there drive everywhere.
When you say pay $20 and download the maps, what mapping system or website are you referring to? We typically navigate with my phone on the dash. And I agree, the SXS rental prices are outrageous!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey folks,
Last year my family spent a few days in the Black Hills of SD while traveling to CO to ride for a week. This summer we are planning to go back to the Black Hills to ride for a week. We need trail and lodging recommendations as well as SXS rental recommendations for some friends that will be going with us that don't have their own SXS. Any advice would be appreciated!
Mystic Hills Hideaway campground is a popular place to stay just a few miles from Deadwood. If you don't have a camper, they have a few cabins to rent. They are a popular place though and fill up fast, so book early. They also rent SXS's and you can ride right out of camp (you can ride out of the campground at most of the campgrounds in that area.) There are several campgrounds, just look it up online.

Not to far from there is the Camp 5 trail system. Trails are moderate to difficult. Another nice ride further south of there is from Pilot Knob trailhead to Nemo, trail is mostly easy to moderate. Plan to get to Nemo at lunchtime as they have a rustic restaurant that's pretty good you can ride right up to. There is lots of great rides in the Black Hills. I recommend Avenza Maps. You can download maps from the forest service (black and white) or from Avenza (colored). Go online and go to FAVORITE 82″ DRIVES for some ride ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Possibly booking near Terry Peak Ski Resort. Are the trails close to here?
I haven't ridden much in the area you are staying at. There are trails there but I can't tell you what they are like.

The Camp 5 trailhead is east of Deadwood maybe 5 or 10 miles (roughly) on Hwy. 14A. The trails run south of there. The Pilot Knob trailhead is ~25 miles south of Deadwood and about a mile or two east of Hwy 385. There is a parking area along the highway and you can ride the gravel road to the trailhead if you haul there. There are lots of trails in that area both east, west, north and south of the Pilot Knob trailhead that don't connect to that trailhead too, and there are other trailheads all around the Black Hills. Most trails I would consider easy to moderate, along with a few difficult ones.

Again, I recommend downloading the Avenza Maps app, then in the app search for Black Hills NF - Northern Hills - Recreation Map and the Black Hills NF - Mystic/Central Hills - Recreation Map (all free when I downloaded them a couple of years ago). That will show you the trails, trailheads, trail numbers, etc. Get familiar with it before you go. Using your phone or Ipad (no internet necessary), the GPS will follow you wherever you go and you will never be lost.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Suzi! I already have and use Avena maps as well as Backcountry Navigator and they do work great. Last year when we were in Hill City I bought a paper map from a rental company too but it's not very good. The way the area is touted as a riding area I'm a little surprised there isn't a single comprehensive map to purchase, either in print or app based. It seems everything is pieced together. Furthermore, just about any rental house or cabin proclaims to be "near atv trails" but most don't say what trails, or if you can ride to them or you need to trailer to them. I was hoping to find a nice rental house that was right on a trail systems but I think I'm asking for too much! VRBO and the like don't give addresses until you book so it further complicates the planning process. Looks like we are going to book a house then trailer to the trailheads. Here in the east when you are looking to vacation in a particular are like the Outer Banks, Deep Creek, the Florida Keys, the Smoky Mountains etc, there are usually several major real estate companies handling the rentals and they show the exact locations on a map along with very detailed activity lists and links to websites for those activities. As with any vacation in new areas, half the fun is learning and exploring. I just want to get the most out of this trip because it may be years before we come back. There's a lot of country to see! I really appreciate you help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your sxs is registered in your state (with a license plate) you can ride on roads and highways in South Dakota (not the interstate though!!) If your state does not plate your sxs you can get a temporary permit to ride on the roads in SD here: https://www.custercountysd.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/ATV_PERMIT_2019.pdf
Also, don't forget to get the Black Hills permit here: UTV Off-Road Permit | Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota

If you are looking for places to ride in the western US in the future, I have some recommendations!! Moab Utah has some great trails ranging from easy to "death-defying" difficult. Also, Arizona has thousands of miles of trails around the state. We ride mostly in the Quartzsite/Salome area. Lots of great trails!! Go to Arizona in the winter though, it gets HOT in the summer!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts