Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed retractable seatbelt harnesses on their Talon yet? I know Polaris has the “Click 6” six point harness that has retractable shoulder straps so you have full upper body movement like a car’s shoulder belt. Can Am makes a similar 4 point system that works the same way. Everyone swears by them, but I haven’t found anything for the Talon yet. You can get the X3 harnesses for about $225 each and the Click 6 for $260 each. After watching an installation video, I think the Click 6 would work with a couple of roll bar clamps around the bar behind the seats to mount the retractors on. I think you could adapt the lower front mounts to bolt to the front seat mounting bolts. They are a lot more than every other non retracting system, but the freedom to move may be worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not everybody swears by them. My X3 had them and I took them out and installed regular harnesses. For harnesses to work they need to be cinched down. The inertia reels don't do that. In the event things get ugly they aren't much better than the 3 point car belts. I hit a witch's eye at Glamis, a hard hit, and those retractables allowed me to move way too much. My $0.02.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sold them for a song to a guy on a forum that posted a Wanted ad, and understood the pitfalls of them.

I'll add that you should stick to the traditional hook style buckle seen on racing harnesses, as they can be unbuckled even when you are hanging upside down(I've done it)where auto style snap buckles may not release.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve seen them work flawlessly numerous times in Ca Am’s and Polaris’s. The 6 point are better because you can’t submarine out of them. The racing style latch is great, but near impossible for kids to buckle. That’s why I’m installing the 6 point Polaris harnesses.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even though a few people hate the IMMI brand 4 and 6 point harnesses, I have seen them work, and wanted more protection than the 3 point automotive style seatbelts in my Talon. I got the ones made for the Polaris RZR, which is the 6 point system. The price was really close between the 4 point and 6 point, but the 6 point is better because it prevents the lap belt from riding up, and keeps you from submairining under the lap belt during a hard frontal impact. It did require some minor fabrication to adapt them, but with the “stay home” rule, I had plenty of time. Just remember if you do any of the retractable harnesses, the retractor has to be mounted so the belt comes out the top, or it won’t work properly. I guess the worst part now is getting the glue off of the pads that was under the “RZR” tag that came on them. After talking to the IMMI manufacturer, I will just get other pads to go over the factory ones to cover up the glue residue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i put the Canam 4-point retractable in my last YXZ (had to build brackets cause they have to be mounted certain way to work. I agree that they have a tendance to ride up (lower part just keeps slipping a little at a time till up 6 - 8 inches and uncomfortable. They did lock up fine (when went thru bumpy section, they would grab). I felt they were better than fixed as you could move to reach things. I woudl have gotten the 6 point click, but MFG would not sell without the RZR tags.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that‘s something I am dealing with now, as you can see from the picture. The stitching came out clean, but they used glue under the RZR tags to hold them before the stitched them on. I have ordered 3” wide harness pads to go over the factory ones. Hopefully they will be big enough to go over the outside of them. I contacted the manufacturer, and he said not to take off the stock ones. It would damage the belts. I’m wondering if it really will hurt the belts or not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used some goo gone and got all of the glue off and have some “Racequip” 3”pads coming. Hopefully they will go over the stock pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts