Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery went dead after only 9 months. Dealership won't replace it. Is it best to just buy the same exact OEM battery, or are there other ones that might be cheaper and/or better. Of course that will fit in the stock battery box. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just go to local auto store and get a replacement battery of similar amp hours and size if needed.

All my machines (talon, Kingquad, generator, lawn tractor) are on a battery tender 24/7. This has helped me in terms of longevity as I’m in PA, it gets cold and the machines sit for months without use.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Hi rclv21, just curious if you have many optional electronic devices such as, stereo, extra lights, winch... I have a 2019 and the battery is still solid. I do have a second battery and have installed a battery isolator and also have a dual charger for AGM batteries. On that not whatever type of battery you go with make sure it is an AGM as they rebound form discharges very well and the stock one is an IGM as well. If you do go with a second battery the isolator is highly recommended and connect all extra electronics to it. That way only the secondary battery will discharge. Like 19PSU88 a battery tender designed for AGM batteries does keep them charged and ready to go. Hope this helps. :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi rclv21, just curious if you have many optional electronic devices such as, stereo, extra lights, winch... I have a 2019 and the battery is still solid. I do have a second battery and have installed a battery isolator and also have a dual charger for AGM batteries. On that not whatever type of battery you go with make sure it is an AGM as they rebound form discharges very well and the stock one is an IGM as well. If you do go with a second battery the isolator is highly recommended and connect all extra electronics to it. That way only the secondary battery will discharge. Like 19PSU88 a battery tender designed for AGM batteries does keep them charged and ready to go. Hope this helps. :cool:
I'm actually buying all the stuff to install the second battery as we speak since I have a few accessories, a stereo, and just bought a Rugged Radio that needs to be installed. Although I have no idea what I'm doing and how to make sure all this is installed correctly. Are you close to Southern Californian, want to come help. lol.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I am close -- South Florida and I did live in Fairfield (between Oakland and San Francisco) for a while! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am close -- South Florida and but I did live in Fairfield for a while! :)
Any Pictures, diagrams etc. would help. I have watched a couple YouTube Videos and it helped a little. Any other advice helps, I've bought the isolator kit, the battery tray, all that stuff.
Question, so one positive cable goes from second battery to isolator post the winch positive cable goes to the other isolator post. where does the positive cable going to the accessories come from, straight from the positive on the second battery? Dumb question, I know.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Hi rclv21, the way I installed was first to remove any and all accessory connections from the primary battery. Leave all of the factory wiring in place.
Install the 2nd battery tray and put the battery in and secure it -- that way you will know how long any electrical connections must be.
Install the battery isolator between the primary and secondary -- follow instructions.
Finally, connect all of your electrical accessories to the secondary battery and that includes the winch.

Winch will have a separate solenoid/controller and the posts are painted red for + black for - the yellow and blue go to the winch. The + (red) and - (black) for the winch should go directly to the secondary battery. Will also have a remote controller and/or a switch to run the winch as well.

Hope this helps and that you have a wiring diagram for the isolator.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information. I will check it out. Actually not installing the winch, I just meant the extra positive coming from the back to the front that they put in their for the winch. I was guessing the extra positive they give you for the winch was the other one that goes into the isolator.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Correct -- You can use that one for the positive connection to the primary battery as opposed to running another wire. Saves a bit of time and the expense of the cable. You will also need a chassis ground and they probably provided that one as well. That will take care of the connection to the primary battery. Next to the secondary. Be sure to follow the instructions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, one more question and this will be my last. lol. The positive to the fuse block for the accessories will that hook directly to the 2nd battery terminal or to where the second battery connects to the isolator? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Ok here is a shot of my Talon, and yes I have been mudding again!.

The charger can be set for battery type and is super for AGMs, this version does two batteries at the same time -- main and secondary.
Panel for accessories is individually fused and also has primary fuse before going to secondary battery.
Winch, lights, stereo, nav ... all go directly to the secondary battery.
The isolator is on the dast and has a small led to indicate status.
All of the connections, switches, etc, are marine grade and running well over a year -- all is fine.
Do pack all of the electrical connections with dielectric grease. Keeps moisture out.

Do send pictures of your final installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok here is a shot of my Talon, and yes I have been mudding again!.

The charger can be set for battery type and is super for AGMs, this version does two batteries at the same time -- main and secondary.
Panel for accessories is individually fused and also has primary fuse before going to secondary battery.
Winch, lights, stereo, nav ... all go directly to the secondary battery.
The isolator is on the dast and has a small led to indicate status.
All of the connections, switches, etc, are marine grade and running well over a year -- all is fine.
Do pack all of the electrical connections with dielectric grease. Keeps moisture out.

Do send pictures of your final installation.
Awesome thanks. I guess I do have another question. Any suggestions on the brand an specs to get for the 2nd battery?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
One that will fit the battery box you purchased AGM and over 400 CCA. I will look and see what I ended up with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My battery went dead after only 9 months. Dealership won't replace it. Is it best to just buy the same exact OEM battery, or are there other ones that might be cheaper and/or better. Of course that will fit in the stock battery box. Thanks ahead of time.
My talon batter died as well after 9 months. Bessers bike barn in st cloud mn where I bought my talon replaced the battery free no questions asked. I tried putting a aftermarket battery in before I found out they would replace it and those other manufacturers don't fit with the post placement. The case size is the same but the yusasa battery is made specifically for the talon which I think sucks. Good luck with the battery surch the battery's are hard to come by rite now with covid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My talon batter died as well after 9 months. Bessers bike barn in st cloud mn where I bought my talon replaced the battery free no questions asked. I tried putting a aftermarket battery in before I found out they would replace it and those other manufacturers don't fit with the post placement. The case size is the same but the yusasa battery is made specifically for the talon which I think sucks. Good luck with the battery surch the battery's are hard to come by rite now with covid.
the place I bought mine from mine wanted me to bring the car in and wouldn't just take the battery back. I was doing work on it and didn't want to load up the car and have it sit at the dealership for a week just so they can check the battery. :(

Anyways after much research, calling Honda and Yusasa I ended up buy an interstate battery (CYTX20H-BS) and it seems to fit correctly with post in the correct place, and mostly the same specs.

Here is the link, just incase anyone else needs a good replacement. Well what seems to be a good replacement, time will tell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts