Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Talon 1000R
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else is having an issue where the rear CV boot keeps slipping off of the axle housing? To make note, I'm on a brand new set of Rhino 2.0 axles, and the right rear axle has been replaced twice from the mfg. It's appearing to me as if the diff is getting very hot, and thus causing the grease in there to liquefy and push out under the boot and seal. I noticed this on the OEM axles, and just figured they were junk. That's why they were replaced with the Rhino 2.0's. I would actually see grease spurts on the OEM axles shooting out from underneath the boot. On these Rhino's the whole dam boot comes off! Getting sick of this. And it just started out of nowhere, like out the blue. I've even changed the rear diff oil thinking that it was low and getting hot. Happened to the first Rhino axle at about 30 miles, this is the brand new replacement of a brand new axle and I cant even get 5 miles before the damn thing comes off.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive fuel system Coil
I can tell you the diff gets really hot! Just curious if anyone else has seen this issue.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Talon 1000R
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see a clamp, did you remove it? I can see an impression where a clamp used to be though.
Thanks for that, it's on the axle still, it's slipped down and is out of the pic, but yea. In this case, I don't have a proper clamp, so I've been using a worm gear clamp that might be used in plumbing. I'm sure you know what I mean. Doesn't matter how hard I crank it down, ultimately the boot slips off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Suggestion, use a good cleaner/grease remover, get all the grease off the axle and inside the lip of the boot that touches the axle. I use brake or carb cleaner sprayed on a rag. DO NOT spray is directly on the axle or boot, wipe clean and let dry thoroughly befor putting back on and putting the clamp. Make sure not to over tighten the clamp it will crimp or cut the boot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also don't extend the boot any farther than the none painted surface, the grooves on the raw part of the axle should line up with the grooves on the boot where the clamp was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts