Honda Talon Forum banner

Rattling noise

14K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JBuchell 
#1 ·
When driving Talon getting a rattling noise sounds and feels like it’s in the front when you are in high speeds but when you’re in low speeds it sounds like it’s coming from the back and it’s getting louder in high gear

#6 ·
Hi Plulmber 440, T-Bob and Bunnycop are giving you the first place to eliminate. I know mine do make a noise and there is an easy fix if that happens to be the case. Just grab the door and shake it -- mine was passenger side. Do let us know the results it may not be the door panels but that is definitely the first place to look. Have fun and drive safely.

#8 ·
I know this is a old post but had the same thing happen. It is the front propeller shaft-driveshaft. It has been doing this for a while and i finally pulled it out. The caps are spinning in the shaft side, My clips stayed in but there is so much play between the cap and where it is pressed into the shaft that when you move the joint the cap spins, This was causing a rattle and vibration, I thought it was the motor or something up front, It was kinda weird cause it sounded like it was in the back at low speeds then it would move up front at higher speeds. When in 4wd it it got better but never 100% went away. Does anyone make a after market one????

#10 ·
I know this is a old post but had the same thing happen. It is the front propeller shaft-driveshaft. It has been doing this for a while and i finally pulled it out. The caps are spinning in the shaft side, My clips stayed in but there is so much play between the cap and where it is pressed into the shaft that when you move the joint the cap spins, This was causing a rattle and vibration, I thought it was the motor or something up front, It was kinda weird cause it sounded like it was in the back at low speeds then it would move up front at higher speeds. When in 4wd it it got better but never 100% went away. Does anyone make a after market one????

I took the shaft out and all the vibration and rattle went away. I am not looking for what caused the rattle and vibration. I found that. I am looking for a good fix. Beside getting a new shaft and spot welding the caps what choices are there?? And if you got a new U-joint were the caps still loose after being pressed into the shaft???
The play is between the cap and ear of the shaft. Its no wonder the caps are flying out. The damn clips holding them in were not made to hold in loose caps.
No aftermarket units (yet). This is a known issue and the only remedy found so far is to get a new driveline (if your cups are too loose) and tack weld the caps. New joints are not any tighter, the cups are OK, it is the yokes. They are not a good press fit from the factory, see this thread. Towards the end of the thread, there are some test results on a brand new driveline and the cup/yoke press fit is pathetic...

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
I took the shaft out and all the vibration and rattle went away. I am not looking for what caused the rattle and vibration. I found that. I am looking for a good fix. Beside getting a new shaft and spot welding the caps what choices are there?? And if you got a new U-joint were the caps still loose after being pressed into the shaft???
The play is between the cap and ear of the shaft. Its no wonder the caps are flying out. The damn clips holding them in were not made to hold in loose caps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.