Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I've been there, done everything but, being a child of the 70's, I've done headers, straight pipes, glass packs, you name it. I'm now more interested in slipping through the woods quietly. Doesn't seem to be a quiet exhaust system available for the Talon. C'mon guys, any ideas or anatomically possible recommendations???

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Sorry for the late supply, consider a restrictor plate, I would recommend a wideband O2 sensor to make sure the fuel mixture is not altered by the restriction but that should reduce the noise a bit. You could also contact HMF they produce an exhaust that is for deepwater and comes up quite a bit -- with the extra bends should be much quieter than stock. The downside is the cost! Do let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. Hadn't considered restrictor plate/ O2 sensor... didn't even know to. Had hoped for a simple and quiet(er) bolt on exhaust system. Perhaps noises from sources other than the exhaust system would then begin to bother me, couldn't say since the stock exhaust drowns out most of them. I'm not saying stock doesn't sound good. It does and I could easily see me using it maybe in most situations. Just saying I'd like to go "stealth mode" in certain other situations, if there were a simple drop-in way to do so.

HMF quiet systems are louder than stock. Add on stealth systems only reduce stock exhaust sound by 5-7 db. EV systems are not yet my cup of tea but are improving with each passing year.

All that said, I'm just home from riding the Wyoming Rockies where the Talon's performance truly amazed. It conquered trail 654 outside of Lander fairly easily (a trail the locals avoid). So, summing up.. Love my talon, wishing and waiting on a stealth mod for those times where quieter is better.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Saw a picture of a Talon with another muffler under the stock one and hooked up to the stock one, it did not say if it was really a lot quieter or not. A buddy has a new '21 Polaris General XP 4-seater that seems to think his machine is much quieter then our '21 Honda Talon X-4, and to be honest it sounds quieter at idle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. Hadn't considered restrictor plate/ O2 sensor... didn't even know to. Had hoped for a simple and quiet(er) bolt on exhaust system. Perhaps noises from sources other than the exhaust system would then begin to bother me, couldn't say since the stock exhaust drowns out most of them. I'm not saying stock doesn't sound good. It does and I could easily see me using it maybe in most situations. Just saying I'd like to go "stealth mode" in certain other situations, if there were a simple drop-in way to do so.

HMF quiet systems are louder than stock. Add on stealth systems only reduce stock exhaust sound by 5-7 db. EV systems are not yet my cup of tea but are improving with each passing year.

All that said, I'm just home from riding the Wyoming Rockies where the Talon's performance truly amazed. It conquered trail 654 outside of Lander fairly easily (a trail the locals avoid). So, summing up.. Love my talon, wishing and waiting on a stealth mod for those times where quieter is better.
T hey will probably be coming out with a electric side by side and then you can go and stealth mode..

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For sure an ev sxs would be ultra stealth mode. Now, I carry extra fuel...with an ev, would I need to pack an extra battery pack or maybe just hunt hilltops so I could coast'er home.

No bolt on quiet exhaust system is being offered for our beloved Talons...none that I can find. Considered trying Kolpin ATV silencer. It's just that $110+ bucks for a 5-7 db sound reduction hardly seems worth the cost plus it appears to mount using the same fugly bracing material used to hang garage doors.

With season just around the corner, reckon I'll be using the old Ranger again. It's bed sure is handy and either it doesn't bother the local game or could be they're just used to me using it to fill feeders and cut firewood. Thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.