Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ticster, I have looked at Ellka stage 5... Are they plush when cruising slow on rough terrain. Nothing against Fox but I Did read some fascinating stuff about Elka. I do realize I would have to swallow my budget and then some but sometimes you just have to do it!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
No rebound unfortunately. But with a 32 inch spare hanging off the back I haven't had any packing or bucking issues. I mostly ride desert and can do 65 mph over some really nasty whoops for an extended length. Just couldn't justify 6 grand for the really good stuff. Maybe if I start racing.
The Elka’s are $3k for the stage 5. It doesn’t matter what weight you have or where it is. Without rebound, your only doing half the suspension job. But hey, if that’s all you want, it’s all good!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ticster, I have looked at Ellka stage 5... Are they plush when cruising slow on rough terrain. Nothing against Fox but I Did read some fascinating stuff about Elka. I do realize I would have to swallow my budget and then some but sometimes you just have to do it!!
Its not the brand of shock, it is how it is set up. You don't need anything more than the stock shocks properly tuned unless you are racing. A properly tuned fixed rebound and 3 position single compression is just fine for 99% of us that just use our machines for pleasure.

Even if I had all that adjustability, I (most of us) wouldn't know what to do with it and probably never adjust anything after the first few rides. These highly tunable shocks are not necessary unless you race. Have someone set up your stock shocks for a plush ride and enjoy and save yourself a couple grand.

Now, if you want to race then by all means, start spending money and learn how to adjust the shocks for each trail you will be riding on. You will spend more time fiddling than riding because each different riding style will require you to figure out the multiple adjustments and it will take you forever to get it right (if ever).

My R is Weller Racing tuned to the ways I ride and for me, I set mine to 1 for rock crawling, 2 for trail riding and hook up the sway bar and 3 for the dunes. Absolutely perfect for me and all the time and money I care to spend on suspension for my pleasure machine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well said paulF. To think that hanging or adding weight off your car doesn't change suspension geometry or that shocks without rebound adjustment can't be properly set up, that person doesn't know enough about suspension to properly use a highly tunable shock. If your car doesn't pack or buck than why have rebound that you don't how how to set correctly anyway I've seen alot of cars out there that people add a couple of hundred pounds to and never readjust ride height. If ride height is not set any other adjustment will not be right. My suspension and its adjustability is set for me (style) and the riding (terrain) i do. Luckily I've been able to ride enough that I know what settings I need for where and how I'm driving in most situations. And yes I am thinking of possibly of racing. Nice to see some people get it. Suspension is all about personal preference. What I think is great may not work for 99% of most people. Remember forums are for opinions for the most part not absolute facts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i have nothing against people who don’t want, or know how to adjust the second part of a shock‘s action. If 3 clicks of compression is all you want, great! Your just missing out on a really great ride. So called “properly set up” is both compression, and rebound. Not one or the other.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could someone please tell me what would be the best option to get me closest to a plush ride? I bought the upper bandit tender spring which made my ride better but I’m wanting something that makes a whole new machine so to speak.... Thanks for any help in advance!
Give Gary a ring at G-Force-423-677-9280

·
Registered
120 Posts
For me with Shock Therapy the Springs made the biggest difference, later I had the internals Re-done and it definitely helped but the springs made the biggest change. Maybe Weller is different and the internals make the biggest differance?🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 1000 X 4 Live Valve
4 Posts
Could someone please tell me what would be the best option to get me closest to a plush ride? I bought the upper bandit tender spring which made my ride better but I’m wanting something that makes a whole new machine so to speak.... Thanks for any help in advance!
32” tires and run them at 8PSI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Dear Paul F,

I completely understand what you are saying, I swear do and I am not doubting you for a second. You said someone could “take my stock shocks and tune them to a way that I 99% like them.” I hope I got that a little close and again this is no arguing but I will drive from Ga today at 12:26 p.m. to let him “Harry Potter” these things into creation.

Thanks again for all the input!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Andy,

I have 31’s running 7lbs of air all the way around after spending months of adjusting that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dear Paul F,

I completely understand what you are saying, I swear do and I am not doubting you for a second. You said someone could “take my stock shocks and tune them to a way that I 99% like them.” I hope I got that a little close and again this is no arguing but I will drive from Ga today at 12:26 p.m. to let him “Harry Potter” these things into creation.

Thanks again for all the input!!
Not sure who "him" is that you are referring to but if I understand your post, you are in Georgia. If that is true, you should talk to Gary at G-Force Racing in Tennessee. He is close to you and knows the Talon like the back of his hand. I understand that he is a master at Fox shock tuning and has many options that you can look at.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sure but I believe I understood someone say that he or someone could adjust even the stock springs and shocks to an awesome ride.... I am a 100% die hard ride red but man I would swap power for a plush ride any day of the week...

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s an off road machine there is no plush ride Check out shock therapy

·
Registered
121 Posts
It’s an off road machine there is no plush ride Check out shock therapy
That is flat out not true and ST is the last place you want to take it for any type of a plush ride.

ST is great for desert racing and fast paced riding but they are not comfortable tuning a soft ride like the OP wants. There are plenty of other shock experts that can give the OP what he wants but ST is not one of them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with paulF. I just had shock therapy do mine for 2 grand. But it is what I was looking for. I almost exclusively desert ride. It works great at high speed and eats up huge "g-outs". But as far as a plush ride goes that is not what it does. It is way better than stock but it is still rough in the chatter. But chatter is way better at 45mph and disappears at 65mph. I don't know of any company that will give you that Cadillac ride. In my years of racing motocross I learned that suspension works better the harder its pushed. Most trail riding the shocks don't maximize high or low compression settings. Any upgrades you do will be way better than stock but I'm not sure if a highway ride is possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I will admit one thing.... At high speeds I don’t want anything to really change but I don’t live close to any dunes. It’s the 5-15 mph rough terrain that gets me and like the person previous said back in the day I raced motor cross and suspension could make or break you on the track, but of course you were ballstothewall too.. lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
I will admit one thing.... At high speeds I don’t want anything to really change but I don’t live close to any dunes. It’s the 5-15 mph rough terrain that gets me and like the person previous said back in the day I raced motor cross and suspension could make or break you on the track, but of course you were ballstothewall too.. lol
You cannot have both. The more you tune for a plush ride, the more you loose at the fast end. You have to make some compromises with the stock shocks or do what @Ticster recommends and get fully tunable shocks so you can adjust them according to how you are going to ride that day.

Because I go from rock crawling to trails to dunes and back all in a matter of hours, I don't have the time, patience or money to go the fully tunable route so I elected to have mine set up somewhat in the middle. My machine with the clickers on 2 with sway bar disconnected is super plush on the trails at 25 to 40 (almost Cadillac like). With the clicker at 1 and sway bar disconnected, it is very acceptable at under 20 (WAY more compliant than stock or with the ST springs) and with clicker at 3 with the sway bar connected, it is very good at the dunes (not as good as stock but I am not one to go super fast or jump so it is great for me).

Mine is a 2019 R and the Live Valve was not out back then. If I were in the market now, I would wait until the shock tuners are better at the LV and buy an R Live Valve. Until then, I am smiling every mile I ride and that is the important thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just had shock therapy do mine. Very happy with it. Softened up ride alot over stock. I did springs, revalve, and dual speed compression adjusters. Around 2k. Worth the money for sure. Better improvement than even the turbo. Paulf is right about they are desert guys but will ask you alot of questions about where and how you ride. Just went the desert last weekend for the first time and the new shocks eat up huge whoops and rough chatter. Still choppy in the really rocky sections ( 6 inch rocks everywhere) but I didn't expect them to make that like glass anyway. The key is setting them up correctly. Weller is just down the road from shock therapy and has a great reputation also. I went with with shock therapy because I've seen their stuff work in the field. Good luck. View attachment 2203
Just got mine done on a 4 seat and they are great...as stated well worth the money!!! Good folks there too

21 - 40 of 40 Posts