Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a tiny pellet smoker that fits perfectly on my roof rack of the talon. My wife in her infinite wisdom bought me an inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter, mainly so she can charge her phone and GoPro.

My question is, has anyone tried to run anything like a pellet smoker on the Talons battery? Factory spec says it's a 10AH battery. Which by my calculations will give me about 2 hours of bbqing on the pellet smoker. I'm going to try it out in the driveway today to see how long the battery actually lasts. As I know these batteries aren't designed to do low current long term use I suspect my results will be dismal. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. We have talked about getting one of those bluyeti battery things, but they are heavy and it's just one more thing to lug around in our 2 seater.

I'll check back later in the day with my results and maybe a decent video for you guys to check out.

· Premium Member
52 Posts
So I bought a tiny pellet smoker that fits perfectly on my roof rack of the talon. My wife in her infinite wisdom bought me an inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter, mainly so she can charge her phone and GoPro.

My question is, has anyone tried to run anything like a pellet smoker on the Talons battery? Factory spec says it's a 10AH battery. Which by my calculations will give me about 2 hours of bbqing on the pellet smoker. I'm going to try it out in the driveway today to see how long the battery actually lasts. As I know these batteries aren't designed to do low current long term use I suspect my results will be dismal. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. We have talked about getting one of those bluyeti battery things, but they are heavy and it's just one more thing to lug around in our 2 seater.

I'll check back later in the day with my results and maybe a decent video for you guys to check out.
Howdy! while it wasn't a talon we did run a Traeger Tailgater 20 on our Polaris General. It drained the battery and we had to switch to a generator that we keep with us. That said we were serving dogs to pretty much anyone that wanted one and it was running for a while. It would be advised to keep a Generator handy just as a backup.

· Registered
384 Posts
in general -- if its a 10AH battery, 10 Amps at 1 hour, 5 amps at 2 hours, etc., so if you know watts, you can get amps and go from there

interesting you have an inverter for a cell phone and go pro, we use the accessory power receptacle in the talon

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in general -- if its a 10AH battery, 10 Amps at 1 hour, 5 amps at 2 hours, etc., so if you know watts, you can get amps and go from there

interesting you have an inverter for a cell phone and go pro, we use the accessory power receptacle in the talon
The issue I have with the cigarette lighters power port is the ignition has to be on for it to work. I don't like running the fuel pump just to charge my phone. I'd much rather have a dead battery in the trail than a burnt up fuel pump

· Registered
90 Posts
in general -- "if its a 10AH battery, 10 Amps at 1 hour, 5 amps at 2 hours, etc., so if you know watts, you can get amps and go from there"
The issue I have with the cigarette lighters power port is the ignition has to be on for it to work. I don't like running the fuel pump just to charge my phone. I'd much rather have a dead battery in the trail than a burnt up fuel pump
I'm a retired electronics engineer. What 19PSU88 said is absolutely correct, and I can appreciate your sentiments regarding not wanting to burn up your fuel pump. I will just say that I have a Green Mountain Grill Davey Crockett smoker, so my assertion is based on the specifications for that pellet grill. The GMG grill has a current draw up to 10 amps at 12VDC. Even assuming your battery is 100% (which no lead acid or AGM battery ever is) you could get maybe an hour of use at full current draw, perhaps a little more since it won't always draw max current. There are a few things that you could do, all of which involve spending money, of course. You could buy a lithium ion "generator" and use it instead of your Talon battery. Or, even the smallest gas generator could power the grill. I wouldn't recommend using the grill with your Talon's battery as the sole source of power. Probably the cheapest route would be to simply buy a little larger battery than the Talon has, say 20Ah AGM and carry it with you. Since you have a roof rack, you could buy a cheap portable solar charger at harbor freight and keep it charged. Just my thoughts. There may be other solutions but I haven't got any better ideas at this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.