Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a trip out to west virginia and was on some particularly tight trails and I just wonder how someone would pass another on them. Backing up doesn't seem realist in alot of situations, I also thought maybe hook your winch up to a tree and pull your machine up the mountain a bit, let the others pass and then bring it down but then how do you straighten out your machine back on the trail

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know on some of those trails in the HMT system are 1 way if they are the black or higher trails to avoid that very thing. They put No Entry signs at the end to avoid it, because you are absolutely right, no room to pass and backing up would be scary. Outside of those 1 ways, I am not sure what you do. Though we rode for 3 days and never had the issue on the tighter trails

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently took a trip out to west virginia and was on some particularly tight trails and I just wonder how someone would pass another on them. Backing up doesn't seem realist in alot of situations, I also thought maybe hook your winch up to a tree and pull your machine up the mountain a bit, let the others pass and then bring it down but then how do you straighten out your machine back on the trail
No good solution other than good courtesy. Recently rode Royal Blue and rubbed fenders with a Polaris. He was hanging over the side and I was in the trees. Some trails definitely need to be one way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is fairly normal for most of our trails and you kind of get used to it. Mostly someone will back-up, or spins it straight up the hills and the other slides around the back slow and carefully. Dont think I have ever winched my way around but have backed up for ¼ on tight trails more than once.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is there no room for an occasional 'pull out' for passing? Just wondering, since I have not been on any trails back east or in the south. Out here in the west we seem to have mostly wide trails and even on the narrow trails there are areas where one can pull over to pass every so often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sometimes no - we can go for mile in the woods and it be just wide enough for one machine, Been in several places we we sort of ride with the one side up on a bank just to squeeze though a tight spot. A lot of our trails are from riding through the woods and making a machine fit, not always cut and dozed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Are these trails on public or private lands? Could you cut or 'doze' out a passing place every so often? I have watched YouTube videos of folks riding on the trail systems back east and in the south and there seem to be lots of trees lining the trails back there!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually both. We also have a lot of old roads that were no longer maintained that we can ride, they are generally one lane but on those you can mostly find a place to wedge in up a hill or something to let people go by.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts