Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in my mind there is no perfect solution for this. The reason I am posting this is to get input from other members seeking a good/better solution. Each solution has some advantages, and for sure they all have their disadvantages. Remember, these are just my opinions, I am not putting them out there as facts. On top of that, I am basing my opinion on the conditions I ride in, which is desert and highly dusty conditions. Which can kill a motor quickly.

The warrior snorkel doesn’t provide a good pre-filter. The intake pipe is designed to go up thru the body, which you need to cut, I am not real keen on that idea. Idiot came up with a good compromise by adding a S&B type filter instead of the snorkel. Some people think that is too loud. But do like the heavy pipe from the stock intake to the top of the body. I believe you can put the stock cover back over that. You might be able to put a 90 degree fitting and run another pipe to the rear to hang the S&B on to help with the noise.

The Honda particle separator is just too big and dorkie for me. Plus, it requires more electrical draw, and some people think the fan is too loud. What I do like is the pipe from the air box to the air intake with a replacement piece for air intake that the pipe extends thru. The pipe is heavy duty, and you can put the stock cover back on. This gives you the option to move a S&B to the rear of the machine also.

The Unifilter is a good option, but you will still be task with replacing the stock filter which is expensive in the long run, and an on-going cost at 40 bucks a pop even if the duration of replacement is longer.

The RC2 filter looks like a good option because you can wet wash or dry clean the filter and use it over and over. It is expensive to purchase, but with the factory filters being about 40 bucks a piece it wouldn’t take long to ROI that expense. It is supposed to be a better filtering option than the stock Honda for small dust particles. I don’t know if the Unifilter would fit under that or not. If so, that could almost be the best option. This would leave your machine stock without any mods.

However, the perfect scenario in my mind at this time would be: (just because I like doing stuff and having trick looking mods) The RC2 filter – The intake pipe from the Honda separator with replacement air intake piece, piping to the rear of the roll cage with a S&B washable filter on the end of that. You could wash the RC2 filter and the S&B. With a pre-filter like the S&B before the RC2 I think the RC2 would last a very long time without having to wash or clean it, and with the S&B at or toward the rear, you would reduce the sound problem.

Of course, I am sure none of these manufactures would sell you just the parts you need, so the my perfect scenario wouldn’t work because you couldn’t get the parts. I already ask Warrior for a part and was refused.

Anyone else? Of course, I always overthink everything so it is ok to jump on me, I can take it. LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
assuming the same rule apply to air intake on motors as it does with house furnuce, you may want to limit the number of 90 degree turns. On a furnuce, every 90 counts big time even if you up the tube diameter. I have mine set up like Idiot and I have solid rear window. Do not notice any noise and filter is staying clean.

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good to know. Thanks for the info since I also have a rear window also. I am a drag racer and totally understand air intakes, and fuel line flow in relationship to 90 degree turns. If you have looked inside these pipes supplied by Warrior or Honda they are a mess regarding air flow, which I don't think is too much of an overall concern since we are not putting our foot on the floor and holding it there for a long time. In theory it might cost a couple of HP but overall weighting vs engine protection, I am not worried. I think I am going to just try the RC2 filter for now and put this off until winter when I have some time to plum up something nice or perhaps someone will come up with a better solution in the mean time.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Hi Wilson, you are correct in this world there are no perfect answers. In some cases theory collides with real world applications it just happens. In some cases it is just a matter of personal preference. In any case keep looking and good luck. What are your thoughts on replacing OEM filters with K&N -- just kidding that would just bring another filter problem.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
45 Posts
So, in my mind there is no perfect solution for this. The reason I am posting this is to get input from other members seeking a good/better solution. Each solution has some advantages, and for sure they all have their disadvantages. Remember, these are just my opinions, I am not putting them out there as facts. On top of that, I am basing my opinion on the conditions I ride in, which is desert and highly dusty conditions. Which can kill a motor quickly.

The warrior snorkel doesn’t provide a good pre-filter. The intake pipe is designed to go up thru the body, which you need to cut, I am not real keen on that idea. Idiot came up with a good compromise by adding a S&B type filter instead of the snorkel. Some people think that is too loud. But do like the heavy pipe from the stock intake to the top of the body. I believe you can put the stock cover back over that. You might be able to put a 90 degree fitting and run another pipe to the rear to hang the S&B on to help with the noise.

The Honda particle separator is just too big and dorkie for me. Plus, it requires more electrical draw, and some people think the fan is too loud. What I do like is the pipe from the air box to the air intake with a replacement piece for air intake that the pipe extends thru. The pipe is heavy duty, and you can put the stock cover back on. This gives you the option to move a S&B to the rear of the machine also.

The Unifilter is a good option, but you will still be task with replacing the stock filter which is expensive in the long run, and an on-going cost at 40 bucks a pop even if the duration of replacement is longer.

The RC2 filter looks like a good option because you can wet wash or dry clean the filter and use it over and over. It is expensive to purchase, but with the factory filters being about 40 bucks a piece it wouldn’t take long to ROI that expense. It is supposed to be a better filtering option than the stock Honda for small dust particles. I don’t know if the Unifilter would fit under that or not. If so, that could almost be the best option. This would leave your machine stock without any mods.

However, the perfect scenario in my mind at this time would be: (just because I like doing stuff and having trick looking mods) The RC2 filter – The intake pipe from the Honda separator with replacement air intake piece, piping to the rear of the roll cage with a S&B washable filter on the end of that. You could wash the RC2 filter and the S&B. With a pre-filter like the S&B before the RC2 I think the RC2 would last a very long time without having to wash or clean it, and with the S&B at or toward the rear, you would reduce the sound problem.

Of course, I am sure none of these manufactures would sell you just the parts you need, so the my perfect scenario wouldn’t work because you couldn’t get the parts. I already ask Warrior for a part and was refused.

Anyone else? Of course, I always overthink everything so it is ok to jump on me, I can take it. LOL
Try this. https://www.kwtfilters.com/ Look at this site and find a great alternative to the S&B partical separator. This one has no electric fan or motor, thus requiring absolutely no wiring, switch or electrical hook up. It will take out 98% of all particles. I run one and it is awesome!! No restriction at all and saves the Honda filter 3 or 4 times longer, or much more, depending on what type of terrain and dirt you are in contact with. Me, I ride in AZ and it is very dry, dusty, silty and filter clogging. With this pre-filter, I don't have to change filters very often at all (maybe every 1000 or 1500 miles, as opposed to every 400 miles so without it.. It is a great investment. Very easy to install and a high quality product. Look at the sight and try it out ... I know you will like it and tell others about it, just like I am to you guys !! Stay healthy and be well.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Hi Gprap, yup were you ride is important. Here in Florida it is getting the intake as high as possible along with the vent line for differentials, fan, fuel tank, transmission and of course air intake. Not many with air separator but almost all with some form of snorkel -- some that are the best are home made. Also have to fill connections with Dielectric Grease and zip tie. I would not do that in the desert just the zip ties. Again you are correct where you normally run is important. KWT Looks a bit bulky but if I were riding in sand I would definitely give it a very close look. As you said stay healthy and keep having fun.

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gprap - Thank you for the post and suggestion. Very worthy of consideration. The only issue I have with it is that big box hanging outside on a bar somewhere. I guess that is my own quirky hang up, I just don't like the look. I am a retired engineer and this keeps my mind busy working on a solution that blends with the rest of the machine. Who knows, in the end I may just have to settle for something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wilson1, I get it, but it really does work well. Where mine is located, I can see clearly out of my rear view mirror and it doesn’t hamper using the bed for placing anything in it. I really don’t know it is there. Also, I can raise it another foot, or so, (upwards towards the roof) if I so desire. I feel the worth of it way overcomes the size, especially in the type of terrain I ride in. Enjoy your ride and be well !!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Gprap, yup were you ride is important. Here in Florida it is getting the intake as high as possible along with the vent line for differentials, fan, fuel tank, transmission and of course air intake. Not many with air separator but almost all with some form of snorkel -- some that are the best are home made. Also have to fill connections with Dielectric Grease and zip tie. I would not do that in the desert just the zip ties. Again you are correct where you normally run is important. KWT Looks a bit bulky but if I were riding in sand I would definitely give it a very close look. As you said stay healthy and keep having fun.
BlueDog, you are right when it comes to where one rides. I certainly can understand your needs are much different in Florida than mine in AZ. The most important thing is that we all get out, ride and and enjoy our Talons. After all, this is why we bought them in the first place. Stay well in these times !!

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gprap - Thanks again. We do ride in the same type of terrain since I am in Utah. You have to forgive me, I always over think everything and if you ask me what time it is I will explain how to build a watch. Its a curse.... :giggle:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here’s a link to my Pre-Filter
seems to work pretty good?
i mat add the washable filter next and maybe even keep the pre-Filter too?
River, Looks like the pre-filter works well for you. I see you have used Shock Therapy. What have you done? Did they do the work? What did it do for you? I have an appointment with them on Monday morning to set my 1000 4 Live Valve car up. Just curious what experience you have had with them and what you think of the results?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had all new Springs installed.
They made a huge difference, no more of that “bucking” on the slower whoops and much smoother.
My wife is extra happy!
yes I wish I could have had Shock Therapy put them on and set it up, but I got it done, just took awhile!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had all new Springs installed.
They made a huge difference, no more of that “bucking” on the slower whoops and much smoother.
My wife is extra happy!
yes I wish I could have had Shock Therapy put them on and set it up, but I got it done, just took awhile!
River, thank you for the quick response. I’m glad to hear the springs made a big difference for you, and coincidently, my wife also wants me to get the job done. My Talon, however, has the Live Valve shocks and need to be revalved, plus the springs to make it work the way I want it to. They told me that the difference made in your model shocks with just the springs, made a big difference, but on the Live Valve they said they had much better and more dynamic results, and that they were much happier with how it worked out. It is a rather costly modification for them to do this, but hopefully, it will be highly worth it. They recommended, rather than just send them the shocks, that I bring in the car so they could thoroughly dial in the suspension according to everything I have, accessory weight wise, on the vehicle. I feel it is something that is definitely needed, and something that Honda, with all of their present and past experience, along with Fox and their knowledge and reputation, should have handled from the git go !! Here’s hoping .........

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting!
i thought the Live Valve fixed the problem?
well good luck, I’m sure your wife will love it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve been using the Uni our filter as well as i consider other current options. I don’t like taking the intake box apart to inspect the Uni, but it is saving the oem filter. I think there is a third option aside from a snorkle style out particle separator. That is extending the oem intake to the pass side grate improving the air quality. These are pics i grabbed from another machine and website.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interesting!
i thought the Live Valve fixed the problem?
well good luck, I’m sure your wife will love it!
The live valve constantly adjusts the internal damping of each shock independently of each other, but in order for it to work properly, it needs to be set up right from the factory, which it is definitely not. In addition, like yours, the spring rate is all wrong, as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve been using the Uni our filter as well as i consider other current options. I don’t like taking the intake box apart to inspect the Uni, but it is saving the oem filter. I think there is a third option aside from a snorkle style out particle separator. That is extending the oem intake to the pass side grate improving the air quality. These are pics i grabbed from another machine and website. View attachment 676 View attachment 677 View attachment 678
Bro i like what you have done there!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts