Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 TalonX Live Valve, 4300 miles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my air filter, topped off diff oil since the dealer didnt when it was serviced. Oddly, found oil in clean side of air box, drained it out the tube. Suspect that the air filter was so dirty that it somehow was pulling that oil up through the crankcase ventilation hose. Anyone seen this?

Love my Talon with 4200 miles but damn the dirty air filters are killing me....need to relocate!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I changed my air filter, topped off diff oil since the dealer didnt when it was serviced. Oddly, found oil in clean side of air box, drained it out the tube. Suspect that the air filter was so dirty that it somehow was pulling that oil up through the crankcase ventilation hose. Anyone seen this?

Love my Talon with 4200 miles but damn the dirty air filters are killing me....need to relocate!
You want to read this thread from another forum.

Oil in air box

·
Registered
192 Posts

Have you had your Talon on is side or roof yet? When checking the airbox is there or has there been a light coating of dust on the clean side of the airfilter box? The stock air filter can actually go a lot longer than most think it can by just a visual inspection. I go 1000 miles each time before changing my filter. Granted I don't ride in the desert silt but I ride mostly in Tennessee. I would bet that if you were not experiencing any loss of power then your filter was not clogged enough to make that happen!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you had your Talon on is side or roof yet? When checking the airbox is there or has there been a light coating of dust on the clean side of the airfilter box? The stock air filter can actually go a lot longer than most think it can by just a visual inspection. I go 1000 miles each time before changing my filter. Granted I don't ride in the desert silt but I ride mostly in Tennessee. I would bet that if you were not experiencing any loss of power then your filter was not clogged enough to make that happen!
The clean side of the air box had no dust at all. Yes, been on its side a time or two but no oil after those episodes. I just had 4 oz or so in the bottom left of the clean side of the airbox. I drained it with the capped tube on the drivers side. Here where I ride, when I get to 600 miles there is 1/8" of dust covering EVERY sq inch of the stock filter. I hope this was caused by vacuum due to the clogged filter. I was telling my passenger on that last ride before discovering this, "Its down on power a bit". I should show a pic of the filter but its just embarrassing, really need to relocate my intake.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If it was really that plugged that you noticed a power loss, then it is totally possible that the vacuum could be high enough to draw oil up the breather hose.

Enough dirt on the dirty side to cause a power loss and not a spec of dust on the clean side shows just how superior the OEM filter really is!

Don't try that with the R2C filter or you might find yourself buying a new engine.

I see a pre-filter in your future :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was really that plugged that you noticed a power loss, then it is totally possible that the vacuum could be high enough to draw oil up the breather hose.

Enough dirt on the dirty side to cause a power loss and not a spec of dust on the clean side shows just how superior the OEM filter really is!

Don't try that with the R2C filter or you might find yourself buying a new engine.

I see a pre-filter in your future :)
Thanks for the input! I did put a UNI 6" angled foam filter in, un-oiled. Just sucks to be in and out of the air box after every weekend, going to re-route that intake sooner than later. Thinking behind the back window would work for intake location.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for the input! I did put a UNI 6" angled foam filter in, un-oiled. Just sucks to be in and out of the air box after every weekend, going to re-route that intake sooner than later. Thinking behind the back window would work for intake location.
The UNI inside the air box is a Band-Aid. It gets dirty fast and constantly disturbing and re-using the seals in the filter box is just asking for trouble. Get yourself an outside snorkel/pre-filter or particle separator ASAP, install a new OEM filter and gaskets and leave that stock filter alone. I posted info on different options on the other forum for you.

It was one of the first things I did when mine was new after the first filter lasted 300 miles. Now I just use a camera to inspect the filter at each oil change through the drain hole and it looks almost brand new with 4,000+ miles on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The UNI inside the air box is a Band-Aid. It gets dirty fast and constantly disturbing and re-using the seals in the filter box is just asking for trouble. Get yourself an outside snorkel/pre-filter or particle separator ASAP, install a new OEM filter and gaskets and leave that stock filter alone. I posted info on different options on the other forum for you.

It was one of the first things I did when mine was new after the first filter lasted 300 miles. Now I just use a camera to inspect the filter at each oil change through the drain hole and it looks almost brand new with 4,000+ miles on it.
Good point about the OEM gaskets... Dangit! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good point about the OEM gaskets... Dangit! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look.
@PaulF has done more research on these things than anyone else I have seen or heard! He KNOWS his crap!! There is a guy on the other forum that has a really nice prefilter setup! I bought 2 for both my Talons. They are top notch in quality and have dyno results of zero power loss with it added. 10-80dirtsports.com is the guy and website. Great dude and product!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@PaulF has done the more research on these things than anyone else I have seen or heard! He KNOWS his crap!! There is a guy on the other forum that has a really nice prefilter setup! I bought 2 for both my Talons. They are top notch in quality and have dyno results of zero power loss with it added. 10-80dirtsports.com is the guy and website. Great dude and product!!
Thanks for the help, guys! Much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.