Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I change oil with filters and put in the amount shown in the book I find the oil level on the dip stick showing low after I warm up the oil and check the level.
Is this just me or anyone have this going on,,, I'm not sure what to think about this and running around with a low oil level in the dip stick is nerving.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Many folks have this happen. Honda made is hard to check the oil.

Mine will not show correct unless I follow this procedure.
  1. Only fill through the oil filler in the bed (cover removed). DO NOT fill the oil from the dipstick hole, the oil will not fill the sump properly that way.
  2. Make sure the machine is level.
  3. Start and run until FULLY warmed up, you must have 2 bars on the temp gauge.
  4. Stop and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
  5. Pull dipstick, wipe and check WITHOUT screwing the dipstick back in.

You can do a cursory check when cold (after sitting overnight) BEFORE you start the engine to make sure there is ample oil when cold starting...
  1. Make sure the machine is level.
  2. Pull dipstick, wipe and check WITHOUT screwing the dipstick back in.
  3. Oil level will show way overfull when checking it this way. If it is about 5/8" to 3/4" above full, it is about right and OK to run.
I have gotten proficient with the cold method and rarely check mine when hot anymore.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
I can't get an accurate reading unless I first take it for a lap around the block. Just sitting idling, doesn't do it. Bring it back, park on level ground and check it after 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many folks have this happen. Honda made is hard to check the oil.

Mine will not show correct unless I follow this procedure.
  1. Only fill through the oil filler in the bed (cover removed). DO NOT fill the oil from the dipstick hole, the oil will not fill the sump properly that way.
  2. Make sure the machine is level.
  3. Start and run until FULLY warmed up, you must have 2 bars on the temp gauge.
  4. Stop and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
  5. Pull dipstick, wipe and check WITHOUT screwing the dipstick back in.

You can do a cursory check when cold (after sitting overnight) BEFORE you start the engine to make sure there is ample oil when cold starting...
  1. Make sure the machine is level.
  2. Pull dipstick, wipe and check WITHOUT screwing the dipstick back in.
  3. Oil level will show way overfull when checking it this way. If it is about 5/8" to 3/4" above full, it is about right and OK to run.
I have gotten proficient with the cold method and rarely check mine when hot anymore.
Ok,,, I will take that approach,,, I think I may have been over filling the sump. My 4K change is coming up and hopefully I will get it. I like the cold check method without running the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.