Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I feel like "Matts Off Road Recovery"! There is an unwritten code that you never ignore someone you meet on the trail, who might need assistance. This happened three times last month:

The really legit one was at very high altitude in the eastern Sierras. Some early season bow hunters in a 4-Runner, had tried to a bypass a particularly nasty technical downhill. They tried to go off to the side where others had done before, but it was way off camber and they slid sideways into a tree. They had to walk 2 miles back to their camp, in the dark. Next morning we passed their camp and they flagged us down for some assistance. Fortunately, we had a Jeep with us that had a strong winch. We used a snatch block and winched them out sideways up the hill enough so they could clear the tree.

Next was also in the eastern Sierra. I was out on the mountain bike way back in the woods, and I came across a little girl all by herself who had thought her all wheel drive SUV was off road capable. She had hit a rock, and taken out her radiator. It was far from the paved road, but fortunately mostly downhill. I rode along behind here and and we had to push it over a couple sections, but got her back to where she could call AAA. She looked a little tweaked, and I suspect she was maybe a meth user.

The other was in the Mojave Desert. A guy in a PT Cruiser had left a beautifuly well maintained mining road, and went out into the sand. He was buried up to the axles. I just pulled out the MaxTrax recovery boards, and put them under his drive wheels, and with a few of us pushing we go him out pretty easily.

· Registered
183 Posts
Many folks who can go out in the dunes or mountains should not be there, ever! They have no clue what their vehicle is not capable of, and get themselves into really bad situations. I watch Matt's Offroad Recovery every other day and have come to think that many folks are about as smart as a sack of wet rocks. Just because they can buy a 4-wheel or even front wheel drive vehicle of some kind does not mean they are smart or capable enough to get off pavement with the vehicle! My great grandma had a saying- "Just because you can does not mean you should!" She was right!

· Registered
73 Posts
Funny - this last time out in the sand we came up on a Jeep and a Lexus - the Lexus was up to his axles and the Jeep was trying to pull him out. I stopped to help in my Talon, but didnt even try to help (even though the Talon had a winch) pull him out- I did let him use the strap I carry but the guy was not real smart and just kept giving it full throttle and ended up burying the Jeep up to the frame. You have to know your limitations and capabilties - no matter what your in. he had to get help from others because he wouldnt listen about careful application of the throttle.

· Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like every manufacturer now has all wheel drive (AWD) SUV's, Crossovers, vans, etc., that they are aggressively marketing as off road vehicles. They show adds of these driving around on dirt roads and sketchy terrain. Trouble is, none of them have adequate ground clearance or off road capable tires. And, I think here in So Calif there are a lot of "woke" kids who want to get out somewhere, but no way would they be caught dead in a "*******" truck. So, they get a weenie AWD SUV, and that is a recipe for trouble.

I have a Subaru Crosstrek myself, and while it has an remarkably capable traction control system (and X-Mode), even with a lift it will never have enough ground clearance to go anywhere but a well groomed dirt road. Skid plates would help, but I would still be dragging it over big obstacles. My daughter's AWD Toyota Rav 4 (with center locking diff) has the same issues. These vehicles are at their best on snowy paved roads.

· Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I have resisted getting a winch. My wife wants one (so I have the OK to spend the money!), but I don't want to add any weight to the front of the Talon. The Talon needs a weight bias toward the rear, otherwise it will be prone to bucking in the whoops. Right now, I carry a Hi-Lift 36" UTV jack. It is a big heavy beast so it adds weight to the rear, and while it is kind of tedious, it can be set up for winching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.