Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Picked up my 1000x4 a few days ago. In NW Montana where there are so many trails out my back door I fear getting completely lost. I’m also completely new to this “sport”. This leads to 4 questions. 1) Looking for the absolute best GPS for me...things getting pretty remote in some of our wilderness areas. 2) Pretty small gas tank...what kinda mileage can I expect riding it mild to moderate AND, is anyone putting in larger gas tanks? 3) Looking for best suggestions on extra gas cans and how to attach em. 4) Short of getting an extra tire/wheel, what’s the best approach for that unexpected tire leak out in the middle of nowhere...or should I just figure out a way to attach an extra tire, jack, etc....?

Thanks ahead and sorry for all the questions.... Just a complete OHV virgin.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Welcome troutrad, I hope you enjoy the forum. Please post a picture of your Talon and where you like to ride. I use a garmon for GPS and am happy with it and occasionally go where there is no cell reception at all. Hope some of the others will answer your gas questions. I use an old school tire repair kit and have a small compressed that plugs into the accessory 12V plug. Do have fun and be safe out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions!...little things like the compressor I hadn’t even thought of yet! I’m very green...haha. Little nervous just bombin it out there as lots of sharp rocks and snags to negotiate and as of now, I’m riding without any back-up safety/repair equipment. Gotta get her outfitted or will eventually pay the price. Today was first day without rain since I got the Talon so took her out and just kept picking the trail leading up and was rewarded with a nice view of the lake we live on:

9F1415EF-C994-4861-B384-3D9E5ADBF8F9.jpeg

·
Registered
73 Posts
welcome - since you are probably riding in Very open/remote country, probably the best safety equipment you can get is a riding buddy. Things are always easier with 2 cars whether getting unstuck, repairing tires, whatever.

·
Registered
257 Posts
1. if you have an iPhone or android I would suggest Onx Off-road. You can download very detailed maps for off grid. It tells you what land you are on, has most of the trails. I use it.
If you want to buy a gps unit, I think the Garmin Montana with Onx hunt maps is the best and easiest to use. Mount it with Ram Mounts. Garmin Base Camp lets you look at things from your home computer and share gps tracks with others, or they can send them to you.

2. Totally agree, trailTank is taking pre-orders for a 10 gallon tank. I just ordered one.

3. There are now some others, but I haven't used them. So I like RotoPax spare tanks and their mounting system. Make sure you mount it on the inside of the roll cage, roll over fires are a real thing as a result of spare tanks puncturing.

4. Get an electric pump and a tire plug kit. Unless you totally blow out your sidewall or damage your rim, you would be amazed what you can plug. My buddies personal best was 43 plugs in a sidewall...and he drove on it for a while! I have the Pittsburg, its good. you want the best get a Vivair.

Suggest you buy a speed strap. You can use it to tow, be towed or if you need to change a tire attach to roll bar and your buddy can pull you up on two tires. We do that all the time. A bottle jack if you are riding alone (suggest riding with at least one other).

FYI, search through the forums, all of your questions have been recently posted and discussed. Great place for stuff, but don't hesitate to ask people like to help out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
PS i used to carry a spare on my RZR 800 for 7000 miles, never used it. I didn't carry a spare on my RZR 1000 for 11,000 miles and never needed it. I don't carry one on my Talon, But I don't run the stock tires. I had all kinds of problems and did patching with my stock RZR Maxis Big Horns. I was able to patch all of the problems. I replaced them with Big O Bigfoots. I had over 8000 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. if you have an iPhone or android I would suggest Onx Off-road. You can download very detailed maps for off grid. It tells you what land you are on, has most of the trails. I use it.
If you want to buy a gps unit, I think the Gamin Montana with Onx hunt maps is the best and easiest to use. Mount it with Ram Mounts. Gamin Base Camp lets you look at things from your home computer and share gps tracks with others, or they can send them to you.

2. Totally agree, trailTank is taking pre-orders for a 10 gallon tank. I just ordered one.

3. There are now some others, but I haven't used them. So I like RotoPax spare tanks and their mounting system. Make sure you mount it on the inside of the roll cage, roll over fires are a real thing as a result of spare tanks puncturing.

4. Get an electric pump and a tire plug kit. Unless you totally blow out your sidewall or damage your rim, you would be amazed what you can plug. My buddies personal best was 43 plugs in a sidewall...and he drove on it for a while! I have the Pittsburg, its good. you want the best get a Vivair.

Suggest you buy a speed strap. You can use it to tow, be towed or if you need to change a tire attach to roll bar and your buddy can pull you up on two tires. We do that all the time. A bottle jack if you are riding alone (suggest riding with at least one other).

FYI, search through the forums, all of your questions have been recently posted and discussed. Great place for stuff, but don't hesitate to ask people like to help out.

Wow, Havasu Dave, all I can say is Thanks! Huge help. Ordered the tire repair kit and the Viair 88p. Also order MultiSeal sportsman sealant for a little added protection. Trailtank is tempting if not a bit spendy but the rotopax aren’t too far behind in cost when all is said and done; may have to bite the bullet. Appreciate all the excellent info!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Oh I forgot, on the mileage, I see 15-17 mpg on trails. 13-14 in low on steep hill rides or rocks. If you fill that tank all the way up, and it's not easy, 120 miles is about it for range. In deep sand, probably also 12-14 range.

Happy trails!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts