Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what it is a rear cargo extension/ bumper build on a talon x4. Will get mostly bolt ons as its my go kart/trail beater til my jeep is finished and I need room for a dry box and a cooler. Didn't like the options out there (and I'm a cheap bastard) so I'm building my trail armor.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’m with ya on being cheap, I have a little over $200 into a glass windshield with aluminum frame, and an aluminum roof with spoiler on back (lol). Windshield vents are only temped in at the moment and will get cleaned up. Didn’t drill a single hole in machine.

By dumb luck the back tab on the roll cage for the old roof is now available for a backup camera. Somehow that tab stays clear of all dust with the superior aero design from the spoiler - lol. 😝

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m with ya on being cheap, I have a little over $200 into a glass windshield with aluminum frame, and an aluminum roof with spoiler on back (lol). Windshield vents are only temped in at the moment and will get cleaned up. Didn’t drill a single hole in machine.

By dumb luck the back tab on the roll cage for the old roof is now available for a backup camera. Somehow that tab stays clear of all dust with the superior aero design from the spoiler - lol. 😝
Windshield and roof looks good!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tailgate in progress, the rest is finish welded out now that it's off the car. 9ne more panel and dimple dies on the tailgate, some wire wheeling and a little gsmoothing and it will be ready for paint

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cheap or not, I think it looks sharp! Good job, and it looks like you have a pretty nice shop to work in as well. What brand of tires are you running?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheap or not, I think it looks sharp! Good job, and it looks like you have a pretty nice shop to work in as well. What brand of tires are you running?
I do, pretty fortunate to find a place with a decent shop on property. Took a while to fill it with tools though. Running Kanati terra masters. Had them on my last rig and they did well traction wise in all conditions, but they wear faster than I like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Really sweet, though for us mortals, if we had to pay someone to do such fine work, it'd be a pretty penny. Love seeing folks who can fab.

What are the internal bed dimensions going to end up as?

I'm seriously looking at bed extender options or possibly custom to get a larger bed for adding a bit more convenient utility.

Thx

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really sweet, though for us mortals, if we had to pay someone to do such fine work, it'd be a pretty penny. Love seeing folks who can fab.

What are the internal bed dimensions going to end up as?

I'm seriously looking at bed extender options or possibly custom to get a larger bed for adding a bit more convenient utility.

Thx
With it still being off the car in paint I will have to estimate. Plate extension was 28.5" wide and 12" deep. Add 6" past plastic rear panel on bed and roughly 25" wide to give you total dimensions to inside of tailgate. I will measure when it's back on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, there it is. Finished for now, dry box installed, with tons of room for a cooler. Hopefully enough weight on the back it softens the ride up. Still want to add some tie down rings, backup light tabs, and antenna/whip tabs are already welded in. Hope you guys enjoyed the build.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts