Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a new Talon, but it seems that there is some sort of shortage. This surprises me as in all reality, the economy is down, covid has everyone freaked out, and generally speaking, People are keeping their money close to their "belt" if you know what I mean. Still, Honda's late release to the 2021 models has had no effect on the market and dealers seem to think that the on or two Talons they have left on their lot are somehow "golden cows", and in some way justify their MSRP plus, plus pricing. Not sure what gives but looks like if I want a Talon my choice are very limited (for now) or to go with another of the more prominent vendors, such as Polaris, CanAm, Kawasaki, or Yamaha, no of which are a bad choice. A bit frustrating if you happen to be in the market. Thanks for listening to my vent. Just a bit frustrated.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon X
27 Posts
They are "golden cows", everything is selling for insane money, trucks, cars, side by sides, boats, rv's, seadoo's etc etc etc

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been told by several dealers in several states that the shortage of new Talons and associated Honda parts and accessories is due to the manufacturing plant in South Carolina being shut down. I'm not sure if it is still shut down but my impression is that they were shut down for a significant period of time. When that happens it will be quite a bit of time before they catch back up when they reopen. They will probably be making backorder and warranty parts and accessories first when they do reopen too to keep current customers happy. I bought my Talon around the beginning of July and they were in short supply then. The dealer I bought from sold their last three that week, mine being the last. Even at that, the dealer sold it a couple thousand under MSRP and included nerf bars, raceline wheels, 30" tires, a glass honda windshield, and a Honda rear windshield. If you really need one now look around and maybe you'll find a dealer halfway across the country that won't rape you. Otherwise wait 6 months or a year and hope things get back to normal. The way I see it, this is the new normal. I don't think you'll see recreational equipment prices or home improvement supply prices come back down for several years, if ever. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been told by several dealers in several states that the shortage of new Talons and associated Honda parts and accessories is due to the manufacturing plant in South Carolina being shut down. I'm not sure if it is still shut down but my impression is that they were shut down for a significant period of time. When that happens it will be quite a bit of time before they catch back up when they reopen. They will probably be making backorder and warranty parts and accessories first when they do reopen too to keep current customers happy. I bought my Talon around the beginning of July and they were in short supply then. The dealer I bought from sold their last three that week, mine being the last. Even at that, the dealer sold it a couple thousand under MSRP and included nerf bars, raceline wheels, 30" tires, a glass honda windshield, and a Honda rear windshield. If you really need one now look around and maybe you'll find a dealer halfway across the country that won't rape you. Otherwise wait 6 months or a year and hope things get back to normal. The way I see it, this is the new normal. I don't think you'll see recreational equipment prices or home improvement supply prices come back down for several years, if ever. Good luck.
Thank you. Good information. I'm keeping a positive outlook on things. America, and humans in general are the most adaptive creatures on the planet. Things will eventually get back to normal. I'm certainly not going to let a dealer gouge me out of some sense that Talons are in short supply (which, of course, they are for now). The way I figure it, Talons and UTV's in general are like Doritos. "They'll make more". I am ok with waiting. My wife has cancer (very treatable but the treatments suck) so we have had to take a forced "leap year" as far as vacations go. I'm in the market for a new Talon, but I can wait until things simmer down. Also, I really want Honda, but if the local dealers keep playing this "low stock" MSRP game I could see me going with someone else. Just have to wait awhile.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sold my used 2020 4 seater live valve talon for $1k more than paid to a dealer who turned around and probably made a few thousand more on it. Economic depression is coming, just give it a few months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Abernathys has at least one of every Talon model except the X4 LV in stock. As far as I know they still havent raised prices. I bought on July 3 and paid 2700 below MSRP

·
Vendor
206 Posts
The off road industry has skyrocketed this year because of the "social distancing" practice. You can take the whole family out and ride. Instead of paying a couple grand to take the kids to Disney, people are buying up SxS's and using that as their vacations. Dealers can't keep anything on the lot, and they're selling most for MSRP because they know they can get it. Check out this interview with the CEO of Polaris. Their current sales numbers are off the charts because of this. Its pretty wild, and its the same for all the major SxS manufacturers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Abernathys has at least one of every Talon model except the X4 LV in stock. As far as I know they still havent raised prices. I bought on July 3 and paid 2700 below MSRP
I really try to not get too political on these forums, but Abernathy is a huge racist and all of his suppliers are pulling out from selling him inventory. Honda was the first one to stop supplying him. Polaris followed suit and others. He made some terrible racist rant on FB and it went viral. I won't share it here because, as I said, I try not to bring politics to a place that is totally not about that.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon X
27 Posts
I found his rant, how stupid do you have to be to publicly post that? Everything else aside, what a stupid businessman.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyone needs to change their way of thinking; covid didn't shut anything down, governors and mayors did that. Nothing was ever shut down for H1N1. We have been duped, flimflammed, forced to believe covid is the only thing out there! That's why 'nothing' is out there. :unsure:😷
I understand what you are saying, but despite your opinion, the fact is Honda shut down their Talon plant for 3 months. They are back in production, but many are still not working there (supply chain, admin etc). So, there has been a 3 month delay in shipments. The only stuff out there is what they were able to produce and ship prior to the shutdown. You can believe what you want, I won't try to change your mind about covid. When one of your friends dies from covid (like mine did), you might have a change of heart. I'm a retired health care professional. All my friends in healthcare are taking it very seriously. Of course, the conspiracy theorists are the ones spreading it because they refuse to help by changing their behavior. Take a look at the statistics for Japan. Their people are taking it seriously and their stats have dropped considerably. It's because their culture cares more about respect, honor, and caring for others than their so called "rights".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought a 2020 R a month ago from our local dealer in South LA for 18k +TTL they probably still have 6-10 of them in stock 20s and 21s. They're a smaller dealer but they normally have a good inventory of the popular machines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts