Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I know there are tons of variables, but if you’re riding with 1-2 passengers, just taking it easy, how many bars, of the 4, on the temperature gauge does it read? I would think 2, but I wasn’t sure. Mine overheated a few days ago, but I think the radiator cap wasn’t fully closed. Fan never did kick on. Took it back out today and rode pretty easy, and after about 15 minutes, it jumped up to 3 bars and I still have never heard the fan kick on. Waiting for an appointment @ local Honda shop.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I’ve never seen mine above 2 bars.

-Things to check;
Coolant full
Coolant circulating when tstat opens
Radiator is super super clean - no mud or dust
Nothing installed under hood behind fan
Fan moves by hand
Fan fuse is good
Fan is plugged in
Hotwire Fan to a battery or ohm it out to check fan operation

I installed an inline temp probe and display for the coolant - fan on mine kicks on about 218 and shuts off about 205.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve never seen mine above 2 bars.

-Things to check;
Coolant full
Coolant circulating when tstat opens
Fan moves by hand
Fan fuse is good
Fan is plugged in
Hotwire Fan to a battery or ohm it out to check fan operation

I installed an inline temp probe and display for the coolant - fan on mine kicks on about 218 and shuts off about 205.
Thanks 19PSU88. Checked everything and it all checks out. I think the fan is not getting the signal to kick on. Never has come on, even when the overflow tank was almost full and the antifreeze was boiling when it overheated . I’m dropping it off at the dealership tomorrow and they are supposed to straighten my steering wheel as well. I’ll update when I pick it up. Ride safe! Pikester

·
Registered
220 Posts
You have something wrong.

I ride hard at the dunes for 30 to 40 minutes at a time. Mostly high RPM, pedal to the metal and even in 90 degree weather it has never gone above 2 bars. My fan does come on here and there. Only time it has been more than 2 bars is when I start it after shutting it off for a short time. It heat soaks the engine but will come down to 2 bars in a matter of seconds once the coolant starts flowing.

FYI: Talons and Pioneers are notorious for air in the system near the engine/thermostat that causes the thermostat to stay closed and stop the water from circulating. It is HARD to bleed out. Some say to overfill the overflow, raise the front as high as you dare (like 45 degree angle) and run the engine until it starts to circulate then shut it off and check the overflow after it cools down. If it pulls all the coolant in, lather, rinse and repeat until it stops sucking coolant in from the overflow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Following...(New to forum). I just picked up a Talon 4-seater. Ran it today for the first time and temp light came on (4 bars) after 45 min or so of riding even with the fan coming on.
Not sure what's going on. But, I will check the things mentioned above.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Following...(New to forum). I just picked up a Talon 4-seater. Ran it today for the first time and temp light came on (4 bars) after 45 min or so of riding even with the fan coming on.
Not sure what's going on. But, I will check the things mentioned above.
There is definitely something going on? Check your entire cooling system and make sure your fan isn’t wired backwards, which was a problem with some of the 2019s when they came out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
-Things to check;
Coolant full
Coolant circulating when looking in top of radiator when tstat opens
See Paul’s post about bleeding if not
Fan moves by hand, is definitely running and blows towards the back of the machine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
-Things to check;
Coolant full
Coolant circulating when looking in top of radiator when tstat opens
See Paul’s post about bleeding if not
Fan moves by hand, is definitely running and blows towards the back of the machine.
Good stuff. Thanks. I will be checking these today.
I'm not sure when the tstat is supposed to open or if it actually is.
You mentioned you installed an inline temp probe. Where did you get that? Pretty easy to install?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I guess my OCD told me I needed actual temp - not goofy little fans, which are fine I guess.

i got a 26mm in-line fitting on Amazon and a hot systems temp gauge.
Install was ez, i clamped the top radiator tight and siphoned most of the coolant from the radiator, popped the top clamp off, cut the hose about 1.5” down and put the iniine fitting in between.

never spilled a drop of coolant and just dumped it back in and all was fine.

always a pita on these machines for working room but pretty straightforward.

I coulda cut a hole in the dash but made a bracket for the gauge and wired up to the key on circuit up front.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess my OCD told me I needed actual temp - not goofy little fans, which are fine I guess.

i got a 26mm in-line fitting on Amazon and a hot systems temp gauge.
Install was ez, i clamped the top radiator tight and siphoned most of the coolant from the radiator, popped the top clamp off, cut the hose about 1.5” down and put the iniine fitting in between.

never spilled a drop of coolant and just dumped it back in and all was fine.

always a pita on these machines for working room but pretty straightforward.

I coulda cut a hole in the dash but made a bracket for the gauge and wired up to the key on circuit up front.
Very nice. Is that Blue block (in the image) the inline fitting you mentioned? I like knowing the actual temp as well.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts