Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a rollover due to a blown front tire in my polaris turbo xp4 and was truly a blessing in disguise.

We had already been considering selling it to move over to honda for the reliability and longevity of a real transmission vs a rubber band. I'm out of town, but my wife yesterday got to go down and pick up our new toy. I'm pretty stoked. Nothing fancy, just a base model 2020 (leftover new) talon 1000 x4.

I already have headsets to put in it, but what are your best first accessory needs for these?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You will love the transmission, I would say harnesses should be the first thing and after that more depends on what type of riding you do. Sand is my favorite so paddles and the Jackson turbo are what went on mine as soon as I could. But if its trails I would recommend 32’s and a windshield. When I’m not in the sand I run Tusk Terrabite 32’s and the utv801.com windshield. I did a lot of looking and I am really happy with this windshield.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will love the transmission, I would say harnesses should be the first thing and after that more depends on what type of riding you do. Sand is my favorite so paddles and the Jackson turbo are what went on mine as soon as I could. But if its trails I would recommend 32’s and a windshield. When I’m not in the sand I run Tusk Terrabite 32’s and the utv801.com windshield. I did a lot of looking and I am really happy with this windshield. View attachment 2288 View attachment 2289
Will likely be mostly trails. We only hit Glamis once a year for a few days, so sand is not a huge priority and I'm building a 6.0 LS powered veeeeerrrryyyy stretched CJ5 to handle my high horsepower needs. I have some leftover harnesses from my RZR (harnesses are a no brainer, walked away from a high speed multiple roll without even heavy soreness the next day). I do like having a windshield and that one seems like a nice option with the flip up vents. Will be recycling a particle separator and building a rear windscreen as well. Like your 32's, will likely be going 30" terra masters as I had a new 30 inch spare 15 laying around from my other car, so I only have to buy 3. Nice looking car you have there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will love the transmission, I would say harnesses should be the first thing and after that more depends on what type of riding you do. Sand is my favorite so paddles and the Jackson turbo are what went on mine as soon as I could. But if its trails I would recommend 32’s and a windshield. When I’m not in the sand I run Tusk Terrabite 32’s and the utv801.com windshield. I did a lot of looking and I am really happy with this windshield. View attachment 2288 View attachment 2289

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new to the Talon world with a new 1000R Special edition.. Was out today in the desert and blew a sidewall on a front tire. Not sure how it happened because I was on gravel/sand. Going about 45 MPH. Rim not bent so not sure what happened. Thinking of going 30 inch tires all around with new rims. Noticed your front rims are different from the back rims. Has anyone put a one inch spacer in front so you can rotate tires front to back ? Do I need different rims if not using a spacer? Appreciate any input on tires

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brand new to the Talon world with a new 1000R Special edition.. Was out today in the desert and blew a sidewall on a front tire. Not sure how it happened because I was on gravel/sand. Going about 45 MPH. Rim not bent so not sure what happened. Thinking of going 30 inch tires all around with new rims. Noticed your front rims are different from the back rims. Has anyone put a one inch spacer in front so you can rotate tires front to back ? Do I need different rims if not using a spacer? Appreciate any input on tires
Everyone runs spacers in the rear when they upgrade wheels and tires. You don't want the extra leverage from a spacer in the front if you can help it. I went to a 4+3 offset all the way around and 30" tires. Now that they're on, wish I would have gone 32.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everyone runs spacers in the rear when they upgrade wheels and tires. You don't want the extra leverage from a spacer in the front if you can help it. I went to a 4+3 offset all the way around and 30" tires. Now that they're on, wish I would have gone 32. View attachment 3130 View attachment 3131
Thanks for the quick response. I have gone through the posts and there seems to be a difference of opinion on using 6-1, 5-2, or 4-3 rims all around. Back 1.5 spacer seems to be a popular choice. Have decided 30 inch tires would be best for my use. Any more thoughts on rims ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with a 4+3 to give a little more track width (I'm in the desert, so trail width is not limited) and I'm running a rear 2" spacer (just remember, blue loctite 242, and the correct torque you won't have to worry about them coming loose). I also went to a 15" rim to give a little more clearance between the rim and caliper as I have seen rocks bind up between rim and caliper to the point it blows a hole in the back side of the rim and leaves you stranded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.