Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been "stalking" this forum for awhile now, reading and learning as much as I can about the Talon. I just purchased a "20 1000R and have been taking to heart some of the advice I've learned here. Specifically, checking fluid levels in the front and rear diffs, sub trans and crankcase. Everything except the crankcase was under-filled. Both differentials were low by approximately 3oz. Probably not a dramatic amount, but still not filled. The sub trans showed full if you screwed the dipstick all the way down, which the owners manual specifically states not to do, so had to add there as well, probably 1/8 quart. I would imagine these are filled at the factory, so I am wondering why the fill level issues. My Talon has 3 miles on it, so no harm done I'm sure.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting some off-road time as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Welcome Nogrey, I am sure you will love the Talon and the 1000R is a very good machine. Excellent job with the fluids that is often an issue and you avoided that. Hope you have fun, and do send pictures of your ride and the trails you visit. Be safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been "stalking" this forum for awhile now, reading and learning as much as I can about the Talon. I just purchased a "20 1000R and have been taking to heart some of the advice I've learned here. Specifically, checking fluid levels in the front and rear diffs, sub trans and crankcase. Everything except the crankcase was under-filled. Both differentials were low by approximately 3oz. Probably not a dramatic amount, but still not filled. The sub trans showed full if you screwed the dipstick all the way down, which the owners manual specifically states not to do, so had to add there as well, probably 1/8 quart. I would imagine these are filled at the factory, so I am wondering why the fill level issues. My Talon has 3 miles on it, so no harm done I'm sure.
The only other thing to watch is the cable adjustment. You can check it in a few seconds at the shifter. It will stretch in the first couple hundred miles. If you keep that adjusted and your fluids good you will have many of miles of fun!!! They are an awesome machine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. Still going through the machine making sure everything is up to snuff. Starting to get cold here, haven't even registered it or tagged it yet. It's just sitting in the garage begging me to drive. It will probably be spring before that happens ☹. Gives me lots of time to add the "necessities".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only other thing to watch is the cable adjustment. You can check it in a few seconds at the shifter. It will stretch in the first couple hundred miles. If you keep that adjusted and your fluids good you will have many of miles of fun!!! They are an awesome machine.
Thanks, I'll watch that and the throttle cable, which apparently can cause an "engine fault" for lack of a better word. Cables stretch. Can't believe that after all these years, we haven't come up with a better option.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks, I'll watch that and the throttle cable, which apparently can cause an "engine fault" for lack of a better word. Cables stretch. Can't believe that after all these years, we haven't come up with a better option.
Yeah I wish they would have used a rod or something like that that wont stretch. Not sure why they didn't go that route but at least if you keep it adjusted you won't have a problem. It does stink to have to do it though!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to find some of those places......once I get my Talon registered and tagged. I have it about a month and haven't been able to drive it. Had it shipped and the dealer is slooooooowww getting paperwork to me. I have a reservation for late Nov to register it. Most DMV offices are more than a month out for registration. Oh, still have to buy a trailer to haul it on (we have a toy-hauler RV but that's a bit overboard for weekend stuff).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice ! Join the Facebook group with yourself and our friend who started. Honda talons Idaho. Its a new group most part. I have lots of knowledge of places to ride around here. I have been riding for about 20 years around the area.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will do that. I am not new to back country 4-wheeling, but it has literally been years and most of it in Arizona when I was a kid. I've been in Idaho since '76. So, I'm old 😂. Thanks for helping me out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice ! Join the Facebook group with yourself and our friend who started. Honda talons Idaho. Its a new group most part. I have lots of knowledge of places to ride around here. I have been riding for about 20 years around the area.
Hello, Hey, having a bit of trouble locating that group. Can you send a link?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello, Hey, having a bit of trouble locating that group. Can you send a link?
Sorry I just saw this. I dont have Facebook to send you the link. Did you find it ? If not I can have my girlfriend send it to me to forward on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts