Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought this new Talon and had only 30 miles on it, riding around my shop and testing it. We have owned Honda products in the past and chose the Honda Talon because of its reputation and dependability. We had planned a trip to Moab and were looking forward to enjoying our experience on the trails there. On our FIRST local trail ride we went 100 ft. and the engine locked up! Loaded it up and returned it to dealer for repair...We were told the next week that it was a catastrophic engine failure! We have been in touch with Honda and with the dealer with no resolution as of yet. We expect a new engine or replacement of vehicle since this is such a NEW unit. It has been a month now and we are stuck waiting on Honda to give the dealer the go ahead and give the approval for one of the two options. It is frustrating and we are running out of patience. We are reserving our opinions according to how Honda handles this matter.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Wow, did the dealer indicate what failed? Fluids all OK? Hope they get it resolved and you back out on the trails quickly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The last time I read one of these accounts there was a stray bolt left in the intake at the factory, and the engine swallowed it, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Ouch, hope they figure out where it came from to eliminate that in the future. I sure hope they fix it fast and get you back to riding the trails again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ouch indeed! I hope this is resolved quickly for you. Please keep us updated, I'm very interested to see how Honda is going handle this. -- There is a blogger on youtube who also had a catastrophic failure in his engine and was told to wait 4 months for replacement engine after waiting a month or so. He didn't say how it all went down and what his actions were against Honda, but he did just purchase a Kawasaki KRX out of the blue. For what it's worth this guy was in love with his Talon and said nothing but good things about it until it failed.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Ouch indeed! I hope this is resolved quickly for you. Please keep us updated, I'm very interested to see how Honda is going handle this. -- There is a blogger on youtube who also had a catastrophic failure in his engine and was told to wait 4 months for replacement engine after waiting a month or so. He didn't say how it all went down and what his actions were against Honda, but he did just purchase a Kawasaki KRX out of the blue. For what it's worth this guy was in love with his Talon and said nothing but good things about it until it failed.
Hi Benzerk any chance you would have the URL. I am just interested in what the outcome was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is the first video:
Here is the 2nd video update:

Then he goes silent for a few weeks and comes back with this video where he gets a KRX, but he does speak about the talon and Honda at the end:

He doesn't say too much about the outcome which makes me think there might be some legal stuff happening and he doesn't want to say too much just yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, did the dealer indicate what failed? Fluids all OK? Hope they get it resolved and you back out on the trails quickly.
The bolts sheered off the cam gear and went in the motor resulting in throwing the cam out of time whic resulted in the pistons hitting the valves and locking the motor up!

·
Registered
86 Posts
folks - IMO

stuff happens - it sucks but it is what it is

as long as Honda covers it - as good as it gets - nobody woke up and went to work and stripped or forgot to tighten the cam gear bolts

I just went thru this with my kids 2019 Kia - 8k miles and cvt tranny puked - installed new tranny and back up in 3 days under warranty

as much as I love my talon - it does have factory warranty issues and will get resolved

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on our blown engine. We are back in business. We have a new motor and Sunrise Honda in Searcy, Arkansas, put it in! We waited on Honda to come through and they did!!! We were told by the service Dept that it was the first time they had replaced a motor on a new unit. Very unusual failure...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts