Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do owners recommend for break-in?

I'm guessing I should just take it easy for a short number of miles.

I bought two new Goldwings in previous years - a 2010 and a 2014. All I remember about break-in advice from Honda was something like "avoid full-throttle acceleration, high engine rpm, and sustained high speeds for 500 miles."

·
Registered
2020 1000x 4 Live Valve
68 Posts
Hey Geezer, I have a 140 miles on mine and I had read somewhere that you should just drive it but not like you stole it. I bought a trx 450r brand new in 04 and my mechanic told me to just ride it hard but not to hard and vary your speed. ( not full throttle all the time and not putting around all the time) I still have my bike and have never had 1 problem. I am not a mechanic and I’m sure many have there own procedures, but if there is a problem you wanna find it before the warranty ends. 👍🏼

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Geezer, I have a 140 miles on mine and I had read somewhere that you should just drive it but not like you stole it. I bought a trx 450r brand new in 04 and my mechanic told me to just ride it hard but not to hard and vary your speed. ( not full throttle all the time and not putting around all the time) I still have my bike and have never had 1 problem. I am not a mechanic and I’m sure many have there own procedures, but if there is a problem you wanna find it before the warranty ends. 👍🏼
Thanks. Makes sense to me. I'll just drive it not abuse it for a few miles. Now that I'm old I don't have the need for speed I once had so moderation is easy now..

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
What do owners recommend for break-in?

I'm guessing I should just take it easy for a short number of miles.

I bought two new Goldwings in previous years - a 2010 and a 2014. All I remember about break-in advice from Honda was something like "avoid full-throttle acceleration, high engine rpm, and sustained high speeds for 500 miles.":)
Read the owners manual!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The main thing is getting it through heat cycles. I have broke in two Honda Pioneer 1000 and one Honda Talon like this: I drive it fairly easy with lots of shifts and variation in RPM for about 20 minutes (That is enough time to bring everything up to full temp and have any excess stuff heated off), then I shut it down and let it cool down completely. Then I take it out and run it hard varying shifts and lots of RPMs for another 20 minutes. Then I change all the fluids front to rear except for the coolant. Now the last step (changing all the fluids) I do is mainly because I am OCD :). You could wait till the 100 miles if you want to. You can pretty much drive it like you stole it from there. Most of the time they give a 100 mile or 25-hour break in because they don't want you to feel like you get it home and have to change the fluids right away but in those first two 20-minute heat cycles everything will pretty much be seated and I like to get any potential shavings out of the machine before I start running it for long periods of time. My 2020 Talon has over a 1000 flawless miles on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts