Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Halon 1000x-4 Fox Live Valve
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, Ladies & Gents. I've been lurking here off & on for the last 6 months. I ordered the machine towards the end of April. The original ETA was the end of July. That didn't happen and the date kept getting pushed out each month. There was allegedly a Special Edition allocated to ship for my dealer and I got my name on that but it got cancelled so I reverted to the original order. Meanwhile, I have these accessories sitting at the dealer waiting to be installed. 40" light bar, winch, bumper, all the appropriate switches & crap to make the electrical stuff work, a windshield, and a particle separator as I have read bad things about the location and design of the air filter. I know I could've installed these things at home but I don't have the time to devote to it plus I'm sure it would've taken 10x longer for me to do it anyway. My wife & I have been doing some traveling out west. Arizona, Colorado, Utah, NM, and SD in the last couple of years. We got the Jeep fever and bought one ('21 JLU / Willys package) last year to take on our excursions. To be clear, I have an enclosed trailer for it as I would never drive or ride in that thing past a 100 mile radius of home. Anyway, earlier this year we were in Utah and witnessed a lot of SXS's having a blast in the desert. That was it. We came back and did our research and chose the Talon. After a long waiting period our unit shipped last Tuesday. Hopefully we will be able to pick it up this week or next. I've gleaned a lot of info from here and am looking forward to becoming an actual participant instead of spectator!

·
Registered
38 Posts
welcome. after years of doing the jeep thing i jumped on the sxs bandwagon 2019 1000x as soon as they came out. no regrets so far and now that they are street legal here in NC it's going to open up a whole new world. Our club name is sure fitting LAST DOLLAR OFF ROAD. Seems like we'll spend our last dollar on accessories and riding trips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcomes. We are definitely looking forward to getting into the SXS thing. We were hoping to get it sooner so we could take it to the Black Hills in SD a couple months ago but it didn't happen. I guess we'll hang out around here for the winter. The Ocala area is only a couple hours from here so we'll get our feet wet, probably literally, there. Looking forward to it. Good to hear you're still liking your Talon, Thunderchicken. "Last Dollar" sounds appropriate for sure. LOL....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome!

For clarification, is it the Talon or the Jeep you would not trust past a 100 mile radius?

My Talon's first ride was with about 10 miles on it and was a 550 mile, 20 hour pre-run in Baja. No issues and got its first service the next day!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I was saying I wouldn't want to drive or ride in the Jeep past a 100 mile radius. I trust it, we bought it last September & it only has about 13k on it, it just rides like spit and is loud as hell. It's got the power roof & I think it's louder than a regular rag top. 10 years ago, maybe, but not now. If we were to ever take it past that distance it would be in the trailer. Damn, that sounds like a heck of a first ride! encouraging to hear everything went well. That's awesome.
Welcome!

For clarification, is it the Talon or the Jeep you would not trust past a 100 mile radius?

My Talon's first ride was with about 10 miles on it and was a 550 mile, 20 hour pre-run in Baja. No issues and got its first service the next day!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good deal, me the wife and my 4 year old boy are here in Debary/Sanford area. We ride mostly on the roads and there are 4 street legal Talons here. But we also do hogwaller and holopaw.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're not too far from us. I'm curious, though. How did they make the Talons street legal in Florida? I didn't think that was a thing down here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I've heard of Dirt Legal. We've been to Az, Ut, and SD this year and UTV's are all over the roads out there. That's the main reason we bought one is to take it out there. You'd get killed in a hot minute on the streets up here in Duval County! Your machine looks great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Florida, an ATV may be operated on an unpaved public roadway, with a posted speed limit less than 35 m.p.h., during the day. This provision does not apply to UTVs unless authorized by the local authority. You are not permitted to operate an ATV or UTV on any other public road, street or highway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lol thanks yes we ride in areas that arent crazy busy. I drive mine to work about 35 miles 1 way and the wife drives it to work about 5 miles. My son lives to get picked up from the school in it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's awesome you live where you can do that. Hell, sometimes I fear for my life up here in my F-350. In April we're supposed to meet some friends in AZ to do some riding. One of the guys is local to the Kingman / Prescott Valley area and he'll serve as the guide. I need to make it street legal for Az for sure. He leaves from his house most of the time. Can't wait.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes and if you ever go local mudholes or whtever you can run to the stores on the backroads and we use ours like a family motorcycle to spend time together. You could tralier to ocala then ride tralis and roads :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, we picked it up this morning. We love it. So, Lil red 02, are your tires DOT approved & street legal? I was discussing street legal tires with one of the guys at the dealer. My problem is the height of my trailer doors. The inside height is fine, but I ordered it with barn doors since I also use it for hauling other things & need to be able to get to the back of it with a forklift. There is only 3-4" of clearance there, so I can't go much bigger with the tires. He gave me a couple of brands and sizes to check out but my wife has done something with the paper and she's not here. Anyway, I really like your setup there. What tires/wheels are on your machine? Here's a couple of pics.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sexy machine. There are different sizes but ues mine are DOT rated and they are tusk terrabites. If your in Jacksonville then you probably got it from the dealer up there in Jacksonville and i took the manager to his hotel room at truck week in Daytona when i was therewith probox roofs lol. I think tey have a bunch of sizes. Look for my build thread and scan through it and if you need to we can talk on the phone to go over any details in depth

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes. We are definitely looking forward to getting into the SXS thing. We were hoping to get it sooner so we could take it to the Black Hills in SD a couple months ago but it didn't happen. I guess we'll hang out around here for the winter. The Ocala area is only a couple hours from here so we'll get our feet wet, probably literally, there. Looking forward to it. Good to hear you're still liking your Talon, Thunderchicken. "Last Dollar" sounds appropriate for sure. LOL....
We are about 20 minutes from ONF and 35 minutes from Hog Waller. We do both. I like trails, my bride likes mud. We have plans to hit up ONF this Saturday the 11th. Probably heading out Big Scrub trail head. Google maps should show it. I tend to run a bit faster than the 20 mph posted speed, but I can adjust to the group up or down. Need to make sure everyone is safe and smiling! DM if you wanna join in.

Very nice looking machine! And @Lil red 02 I'm jelly...I wanna make ours street legal. But, don't have the disposable cash, and not sure the credit union will allow me to retitle it to Montana. @Thunderchicken , a buddy in NC said I could retag there using a shop address, but I don't know if Florida will recognize it. So, I'm a bit jelly of you NC guys too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.