Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, been lurking on here for sometime to get info on what Honda to buy either the 1000 X-4 or the Pioneer. Finally pulled the trigger on the Talon X-4 a couple months ago so I figured it was time to join this community too. Man there is so much info on here and all the mods ppl have done as well. Great community to say the least. I'm not new to SxS as I have had a utility Kawasaki Terex 2 seater for several years and decided to trade it in for the Talon. After reading a lot of ppls horror stories with engine issues I thought it was just unfortunate luck for ppl until it happened to me. I have enjoyed the machine up until 100 miles on it and thought that I was in the clear from what ppl had to say about theirs until mine completely locked up on me. So I called the place I bought it from to come pick it up to fix it to find out that the sub transmission was completely locked up and they put a claim in to fix it. Thats been a month now since its been in the shop and still don't have it back. Sorry for the first post being so long but I wanted to see if any others have had similar issues? What was the outcome? Does it run better now than before and are there any other issues I should look out for?

·
Registered
2020 4X Live
11 Posts
These machines are known to come low on oil in the sub trans. Mine was low on engine oil also. I believe part of the issue is due to Honda's process of not reinserting the dipstick fully to check the level. Too many people assume, and don't read the manual.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon R
47 Posts
Yes my sub trans was low it wouldnt register on stick not sure what I added to it but it was a bit and coolant bottle had small to little to none in it and topped it off......Discovered this prior to riding
Welcome aboard great web site for info and parts...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did either of you @Phantom Driver @brownmecha sub lock up or did u look for the issue and fix before any issues? When the service guy called me to tell me the issues he did say anything about no/low oil. Now that u guys mentioned that I will be asking what the problem was whenever they get it fixed and dropped off. I also had an issue from the day it was dropped off to after buying it with being able to shift it into park from drive and drive to reverse so I wonder if that had something to do with it as well. Oh well I got faith in the place I got it from will fix it or figure something out so I’m not to worried.

·
Registered
2020 4X Live
11 Posts
I checked mine before I had issues. When I brought it home from dealer and unloaded off trailer, I took it for a maybe 1/2 mile spin around the neighborhood. I experienced what I considered to be abnormal gear whine. I checked the sub trans, and nothing registered on the dipstick. I then decided to drain and fill it with some Schaefer's oil. Barely anything came out the drain plug!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@brownmecha I noticed the whine as well but didn't think it was an issue. When the gear shifting started I called service and told them all the issues I was having and heard and they told me it wasn't a big deal, lol now its a big deal where they have to replace the sub trans. I finally heard back from them today and they told me that they were waiting for Honda to ship the new sub out, so hopefully it wont be to long before they get it he sub and I finally get it back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts